Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SAAB 9-5 2.0 TTID XWD Aero (2011)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks for allowing me to join.

Quick, intro, I have too many cars as is but could not resist buying my first SAAB. Ever since I got a ride in a SAAB 9000 back when I was a jong lad (still feel young but also somehow 41 year olds) I wanted one. I'm an automotive designer (and other transport-related work), and I've also always liked the design of the last 9-5, plus it is something that sparks a conversation with fellow petrol heads.

I'm Dutch but living in the UK. I picked it up from Northern Ireland two weeks ago and drove it back to the middle of England where I live, crossing 4 countries (Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland and England) Not too shabby for a test drive. It's a good thing I liked it because I had already booked the ferry and did not have a flight back :)

it's a 2011 TTID with XWD and with the Aero package in Jet metallic black.

Despite me asking specifically before I made the journey to go get it the LED light bar is not working. In fact, it's cracked and covered up with vinyl, so no LED kit is going to save me. To be fair whoever applied the vinyl, he did do a good job. So now I am looking for a LED bar to replace it, as it's such a key design element that I want it to work. As you all know they are rare and expensive but we will get there eventually.

First doing full service, XWD has recently been serviced and got a new pump so I will leave that till next year, but the rest is getting changed, and then in two weeks I will take it to the Netherlands for a short break/work trip.

The vinyled LED bar. I pealed a bit off to check underneath exposing a crack, but you can see it is not bad looking as far as a cracked LED bar goes.

Anyway, happy to be here and I think there is plenty of resources here. The first thing on my list is finding the correct oil. The previous owner says it needs to be 0w 40 to protect the turbo's but not seen much on the internet to back that up, although I understand the rationale. I will also be looking for a diagnostic device so I can stay on top of things.

I already started to make it my own.
A little funny mod my kids who are very much into flags wanted (I have some in my Volvo too).

I also installed a camera and hardwired it in.

Oh, and a quick naughty thought. No immediate plans, just a quick photoshop. I love the original but this does look pretty badass.

More important work was a good service and looking over. I carried out the service this weekend. I'm taking the 9-5 to the Netherlands this Friday, the oil-life was only 8% so decided I better do it before and at the same time have a good look underneath. Overall good, no nasty leaks or worn suspension bushes etc BUT...

The first disappointment was the subframe had a hole in it that I need to address. Very surprised as the rest of the subframe is solid. Should be a fairly straightforward weld but it's not great. I am fairly sure the previous owner had to know about this, so that's a little disappointing. A replacement subframe is also an option, I have replaced one before on my Alfa. If it is a common part with the Vauxhall it shouldn't be too painful financially either. Just a lot of work.

The second disappointment and again, one I suspect the previous owner knew about, is the oil drain bolt has obviously been tightened by King Kong and at some point and later some idiot tried to get it off with resulted in a nicely rounded bolt.

This is how I found it:

I tried using the Dremel to shape it like a 3/8 but it just would not move so I abandoned it for the next time when I can do the job better prepared. Next year I am planning to replace the dreaded oil pump seal anyway, so the sump has to come out anyway I believe.

Instead of draining that way I sucked the oil out with my oil pump through the dipstick tube. Roughly 4.5 litres came out so I'm pretty sure I got close to getting everything out I could. The rest of the filters were fine. I just received the air cabin filter by post, so that will be next.

Reset the oil life message which was a lot less straightforward than I thought. I kept trying to reset it with the engine running. It will let you choose the option but then doesn't do it, aggravating. Only when I tried to reset it with the engine off and the contact on it actually reset it to 100%.....................why SAAB, why give me the option with the engine on then!!!! Anyway, now we know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and right....

Also, I met this great guy named Peter and his 9000 near my house. He saw me and came straight over. I just love cars/car brands that come with an instant free and friendly community. Although we never met we obviously had plenty to talk about.

He owned a bunch of SAABs and this anniversary model looked fantastic. He also has a 900 trackday for sale I may help him post later. Great guy, great conversation and definitely one of the positives of owning a not-so-common car.

Next I am busy with getting a new LED bar to work but I will post in the technical forum for that in more detail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello. Your car looks fantastic. Have a good Time with it!
Thanks! I'm really enjoying it, I already test-drove it when I picked it up from Northern Ireland and drive it back to the middle of England where I live. With the test drive over the Irish republic and the ferry landing in Scotland I drove it in 4 countries on my first day of ownership :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I can't stop staring at it :) Always a good sign :)

I took it over the Netherlands now. All good. I was just telling my sister how rare they are when a beautiful white 9-5NG came driving by LOL.

Also got a working LED bar last week. I am a happy man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to be in the Netherlands this week. Just returned and really enjoyed the drive in the 9-5. Firstly the trip to and from the Netherlands over France but also the many trips during the week. I took a few pictures while out there. Also managed to spot a few NG's but sadly no photos.

Early morning, while trying to avoid a traffic jam. Modern Dutch windmills :)

Garage at my old university. I photographed my old cars there too so it's fun to take a few pictures with the 9-5 here too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts