Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering having some components on one of my cars coated in the material this company makes.

I met them at The Autosport Show, I decided to look at the website this morning. Guess what, they seem to be using a Saab as an illustration vehicle.

I think it works, but I'm still trying to work out the downsides & if they are important.

http://www.zircotec.com/lessheat.html

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get a quote as such, but for the manifold & exhaust section I am considering getting done a rough guide would have be £150-200. If it solves the issue I am trying to deal with that's an acceptable price.

The job is basically priced on area covered as I understand it. Apparently plasma sprayers are an expensive bit of kit

·
Registered
229 Posts
I keep thinking about getting mine done too, although for me I'd find the time the car was off the road to be a pain.

Have a look at Camcoat Performance Coatings too, they have a few more options and give you some idea of price , however it seems Zircotec's Thermohold offers better thermal protection.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I bit the bullet & got the job done. Really nice friendly guys, the treated parts look a proper piece of kit.

It'll be a month or two before I will know if it works on circuit, I'll try & let you know.

BTW..... customer before me was Jordan GP, customer after me was Jordan GP and they had a McLaren wall planner on the wall. That's 2 of the 4 GP teams they supply and now me

Don't worry about the car being off the road.... I prebooked mine in (necessary) took the parts down this morning, waited a few hours & set off back home again by 3:30!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've been told that ceramic coatings increase the speed with which the flame kernel forms. (Because of the higher temperature around the walls of the combustion chamber, piston and spark plug.) This means you can reduce initial ignition timing slightly. Or more to the point, in some instances you may HAVE to reduce the timing slightly. It shouldn't affect power. It's the same reason, but opposite effect, that causes water injection to need MORE timing. Once the flame starts to burn it should burn at the same rate.

You might (just to be on the safe side) start tuning your engine two or three degrees further back than you normally would. Then sorta feel things out from there.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The components treated were not main engine components.....this is a treatment to prevent heat transfer & was applied to exhaust / intake components. I don't need to adjust the ignition timing for that, but thanks anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts