Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Unbelievable - almost! What's amazing is that it was someone from Denmark, not the UK, that posted. I'm not surprised, really. When one stops to consider all the inventions and technology that were originally done in the UK - computers, robotics, and if one wants to go way-back, then the industrial revolution itself! The shame is that although the original ideas and technology start in the UK, because of funding constraints, it seems, further development takes place in other countries (a little known fact is that the largest investor in the US
isn't Arab, nor Japanese, but British). It wouldn't surprise me if the same fate awaits Zeroshift - I would think Ford & GM tentacles are lurking-about, waiting to engulf & devour! Anyway, thanks Soren.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess it has been like this since the start of industrilisation. The ideas were nursed in good old England and then the manufacturing were done in the colonies!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd read about this last year but details were very sketchy and secretive due to patents, the F1 teams are lining up to get their hands on it too. I actually thought it was a April Fools Day spoof when I read about it last year though

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There is a common misunderstanding about what a ZeroShift is. The switch in ratios is instant but the switch in engine speed is not. The engine and gearbox are separated by the clutch. ZeroShift FlatLiner adjusts the clutch and throttle throughout the shift sequence. --- Quote from the website.

So the throttle and clutch are modulated? As in, the throttle is cutback and clutch slipped??!

I'd rather have a transmission that sat right at one RPM: Peak hp.

No clutch slip, and maximum accelleration at all instances because accelleration = hp x 550 / (mass x speed)

If it were reliable enough it'd be a neat idea to reduce the number of times you have to use the clutch ... but I don't mind shifting between gears, it's starting and stopping in traffic that sometimes gets slightly bothersome.

Oh well. It does look very interesting, and the webpage is well done. Also there are a number of manual boxes, like the one in the WRX, that break easily and could use any help necessary to just make them stronger for goodness sake!

Thanks for the linky.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
  I'd rather have a transmission that sat right at one RPM: Peak hp.  [/b]
That might well be correct when driving hard. But for normal driving the harsh noise produced by the engine at such high revs would give me a headache. On top of that, I wonder if the engine would suffer quicker wear-and-tear problems.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
lol I didn't mean constantly at one RPM.

Like a load request. The more you push the pedal down the higher up in the HP band the engine moves. At full throttle it just sits at peak hp. Anything less than peak hp sits at a different RPM.

It would allow torqueless wonders like the wankel perform like much larger engines because they could sit at their highest hp all day long.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]The ideas were nursed in good old England[/qb][/b]
Ahm!!, the UK if you dont mind, as there are more countries than just E*****d you know.

Thats the problem with alot of people they all just "ah your from England", eh naw!Scotland!!.

Just remember there's more one country here!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm not sure if I've raised this before but the best invention yet, IMO, for transmissions is from a company called Torotrak, based in Preston, UK.
They are developing an infinitely variable transmission based on toroidal rollers and a traction fluid.
This allows the engine to sit at max power and it will adjust the ratio constantly to allow the fastest possible acceleration.
Alternatively it can be programmed for max economy and can cruise at 80mph with extremely low engine rpm.
OR - the software could be programmed to mimic a manaul box, using paddles if desired - it really doesn't matter because the ratios are controlled via software.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by dave225:
[qb]I'm not sure if I've raised this before but the best invention yet, IMO, for transmissions is from a company called Torotrak, based in Preston, UK.
They are developing an infinitely variable transmission based on toroidal rollers and a traction fluid.
This allows the engine to sit at max power and it will adjust the ratio constantly to allow the fastest possible acceleration.
Alternatively it can be programmed for max economy and can cruise at 80mph with extremely low engine rpm.
OR - the software could be programmed to mimic a manaul box, using paddles if desired - it really doesn't matter because the ratios are controlled via software. [/qb][/b]
Hear hear.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
but the best invention yet, IMO, for transmissions is from a company called Torotrak, based in Preston, UK.[/b]
sounds like a very good idea

but on the zero shift ..iirc it does not actually strengthen the gearbox
it works in a different way so the stresses will be different...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a common misunderstanding about what a ZeroShift is. The switch in ratios is instant but the switch in engine speed is not. The engine and gearbox are separated by the clutch. ZeroShift FlatLiner adjusts the clutch and throttle throughout the shift sequence. --- Quote from the website.

So the throttle and clutch are modulated? As in, the throttle is cutback and clutch slipped??!

I'd rather have a transmission that sat right at one RPM: Peak hp.

From what I make of the text its up to you to keep the right engine speed for peak HP, as with your normal transmission, then the Zeroshift transmission will make shure there is no powere loss during shifts!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Torotrack also looks very exiting but apparently its not made for being retrofit!

"Can the IVT be retrofitted to a vehicle? (date posted 27/02/04)

One of the strengths of the IVT is that it can be packaged to fit into the space occupied by an existing transmission.

"The real fuel economy and driveability benefits supplied by the IVT come from an integrated approach to the design and calibration of the entire powertrain (engine and transmission). Therefore we do not expect the IVT to be retrofitted in volume passenger cars."

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
[qb]I belive Audi bought the patent and is now using it under the Multitronic name! [/qb][/b]
I think rather Audi's supplier bought it? It's also the basis of the CVT transmissions in Fords and Fiats, I believe.

My mum had a Daf. It surprised a lot of people at traffic lights (they'd pull away, but she'd catch up when they changed gear) - up to about 20mph, anyway

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Originally posted by Axl:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]The ideas were nursed in good old England[/qb][/b]
Ahm!!, the UK if you dont mind, as there are more countries than just E*****d you know.

Thats the problem with alot of people they all just "ah your from England", eh naw!Scotland!!.

Just remember there's more one country here!!!! [/qb][/b][/quote]Y'know, I really doesn't matter what I write on here, it just gets ingnored anyway.

All I'm saying is remember there's more than one country here!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.