Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm after a bit advice for my uncle. He has a 2007 1.9 cdti 150Bhp astra which I think is the z19dth engine the same as saabs. Anyway he is having throttle body problems. He took it to a garage and they are saying that the pins that hold the throttle body flap in place are bent? I dont know how its managed to bend the pins but this is what they are saying. Is this a common fault and can it be fixed or can they only be replaced? Is it an expensive job to do whichever?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope kez. The car was running like a bag of s**t as it wouldnt open so the bloke glued it permenantly open as a temp fix. He said the pins were bent to my uncle. My uncle knows absolutely nothing at all about cars. My dads just said also it could of been the inlet manifold and not the throttle body... apparently its 700 quid to replace the part with a brand new part if that helps point out the faulty part?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car went into vauxhall about 8 months ago as it conked out on the motorway and wouldnt start again and it got put dosn to a knackered dpf which got removed and mapped out and dodgy flaps in either the inlet manifold or the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If the guy glued it open this would suggest that the actuator has failed on the flap and you would look to exchange the TB.
Are you also talking about another seperate issue with the swirl flaps on the manifold?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the guy glued it open this would suggest that the actuator has failed on the flap and you would look to exchange the TB.
Are you also talking about another seperate issue with the swirl flaps on the manifold?
sorry about the confusion. I thought my uncle said the tb and when I mentioned it to my dad I had posted about it on here he said that he thought it was the intake mani and not the tb. I'm going to give my uncle a call on my next break to get him to confirm which it is.

dth refers to the actual engine and not ancillary's ............so there are various differences between vauxhall and saab although both gm
Ah right. My bad. I didnt realise this either. I thought it would have all been the same. I know very little about that sorta stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
yes good idea to know what his problem is before we blow his car up or spend his life savings on something it is not lol:D

and always worth double checking replacement parets mate just in case

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha yer I cant imagine him being happy! He said it is the flaps in the inlet mani. I'm positive he told me tb.

So guys ignore eveything about the tb he has just confirmed inlet mani. Haha. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
lol.........so is the rod bent or has it become detatched from the flaps(common problem) does he have a eml on

what are his symptoms

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It must be the rod then yer. He was told the pins. He said the eml was on but then went off once they were glued open.

The car just ran like crap and wouldnt rev above 1750 ish rpm. Basically went into limp mode.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
you do not need the flaps, if they are in the open position and the flap motor is disconnected from the actual rod so that it can travel open/close positions it wont give any running issues at all

on the other hand if the rod has fell offthere is a repair kit and a easy diy repair

there is also a blanking kit to remove the flaps but an in depth job

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the late reply. Spoke to my uncle on sunday night and he said he lost faith in the car as it had broke a few times in the year he has owned it so traded it in against a 2.2 deisel accord.

Thanks for all the replys guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts