1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everbody.

The situation:

1. Strange curry/coolant type smell.
2. Misty windows for no apparent reason.
3. Loss of coolant (checked all hoses/radiator/water pump etc and all are fine)

There is also a near constant drip from an outlet leading from the bulk (false) head. The outlet has a sort of rubber flap over the end.

I gather from these symptoms that my heater matrix is leaking.

I am going to attempt to replace the heater matrix myself and I understand that its not the most straighforward job. But with all the helpful previous posts with associated links I will give it a go.

My question: Due to work commitments I have been unable to even have a look to see what needs replacing and I was wondering what else I should buy, other than the matrix itself, to ensure that I have all the parts (ie, hoses or seals or anything like that) that I may need to replace when I start the job?

I was going to buy the matrix from GSF or ECP. Are the ones from here ok?

Thanks everbody

·
Registered
194 Posts
All you'll need is the new matrix.
Bought mine from GSF, does what it's supposed to do so no complaints. Watch when you pull the old matrix out, use a rag or glove to grab it with cause if you grab the vains on the matrix itself it's like a cheese grater and will neatly slice your fingers.
Hope you've got a sense of humour as jumping up and down on top of the engine block like a demented monkey on speed is not for those who can't laugh at themselves

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brock. Thanks mate.

I will order my matrix today so hopefully it will be with me for the fun and games at the weekend.

Apparently, I drag my knuckles on the floor when walking upright, so demented monkey sounds almost spot on!

·
Registered
300 Posts
...like a monkey... that's rich!

While you are in there it's often reccomended to replace the fan motor too. Once you get that close you may as well. Depends upon the age and miles of the car.

Also, there is a cabin filter in there too.

Watch out for the tabs that hold cover in, they break.

Quasimoto has a very detailed (pictures too!) how to of this.

I've done two. You'll be *glad* once you are done...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soneway, thanks for the info and tips.

Have got Quasimoto's website and others all bookmarked in preparation for the job.

I'm sort of looking forward to doing it now. Whats wrong with me? answers on a post card to......

Cheers

·
Registered
393 Posts
The cabin filter is trivial to replace - just do it as and when (every 2 years? Can't remember)

The blower motor wasn't as difficult as I expected, so I didn't do it when I did my matrix. I'll just do it if it ever needs it.

Thick cardboard/carpet on top of the engine will make the job more comfortable for your knees and the engine.

I found a headtorch very useful for peering in trying to find the tabs to release the blower motor assembly.

Masking tape or something similar to cover the sharp edges of the bulkhead will help the blower motor slide out. I didn't do this and ended up with a lot of little black plastic spirals as it scraped its way out. No problem, but it was more tricky. Apparently the tape will really help the blower slide out.

Ummm... what else....

Ibuprofen or something for your aching back when you've finished!

You don't need to remove the wipers, wiper linkage, windscreen surround trim, so don't bother!!! Mr Haynes doesn't always get it right!

Have a nice weekend!

Ben.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Everybody.

Just an update.

I have managed to replace my knackered heater matrix in 1 hour 25 mins.!
No more loss of coolant and no 'curry' smell.

I did have it easy though as the car was a 1991 CS 2.3T and I had no problems with space whats so ever and also no air con to worry about.

Can I still have my 'I can change a heater matrix in under an hour and half' badge though please?

Thanks all for the tips.

Cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Soneway.

I think to be fair though, after reading other peoples posts about heater matrix replacement, I had a very easy job. Nothing was complicated, seized, awkward or fiddly to remove or replace.
Which I am very thankful for!

Do I make house calls to California?....you bet I do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.