Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after seeing ERP's page on cooling down intake temps for his NG 900 and reading how much wrapping the pipes improved the temps in his intake I decided to give it a go.

Since I live in Southern California this should be especially helpful to me. As I tested it (and installed it) today it was 35 degrees C. As tested the car was running on approximately 94-95 AON octane.

My first impressions are VERY good. I could not get the car under any circumstances to deviate away from full boost pressure for that gear. It even did some things that it normally only does when quite cold out, like light up one of the front tires in a straight line in 2nd gear.

Immediately upon returning I opened the hood to make sure none of the wrap had become un-stuck from the pipes. (Make sure you clean your pipes first before wrapping.)

When I touched some of the aluminum on the outside of the heat wrap I nearly burnt myself! So I thought ... the underside, and thus the intake gasses, must have been equally hot. But after picking up the edge of part of the wrap with my fingernail I felt under it and not only was the plastic pipe NOT hot, but it was barely even warm!

This mod gets a big thumbs up from me as it only cost me $10 for two rolls of reflective insulating tape at the local hardware store.

Later I will do the throttle by-pass for the coolant since in my climate in never freezes and a frozen throttle plate shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably also buy more of this tape to use on my C900, and my friend will doubtlessly buy some for his 90 Dodge Shadow Turbo.

Here are the pics:

Enjoy!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To ensure that the little strips of insulating wrap stay on tight I have since covered it all in foil. I have also wrapped the intake near the MAF sensor in foil, and used some tie-wraps to hold it all to the pipes.

The finished product:

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
now get a shiney forge DV to match the shiney pipes! might look at insulating mine then
although i already get too much wheelspin as it is

·
Registered
836 Posts
So this is supposed to improve (lower) intake air temperatures by preventing the engine bay heat from warming the intake air in the pipe?

By the time the air comes out of the compressor it will be hot, out of the intercooler still pretty warm (only transferring heat to the ambient at 35 degC), so how much heat transfer do you expect to get in the intake pipe? It has pretty poor surface area:volume and mostly is made of thickwall plastic.

Surely the underbonnet temperature won't get that high when the car is moving at decent speed?

Easily checked though, I'll put a remote thermocouple in a few locations under the bonnet and set max. record mode on my thermometer. What I could really do with is to borrow a multiprobe datalogger from work, but they're lots of money and I'm not sure they'd agree.

Sadly, I don't expect to get 35 degC ambients

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ERP did just that, he said he got as much as 50% lower intake temps. He also did a couple other things after his intake temp sensor that it could not detect, but this wrap was all that I'm aware he did to get the temps down.

The underhood temps are usually so hot that you will nearly get burnt if you touch ANYTHING ... on the 9-3's the radiator fan (without A/C active) will not kick on until coolant is 100C ... at which point the engine, all the pipes, especially by the turbo and coolant hoses, are too hot to touch.

With the wrap, while the surface of the wrap is very hot, the actual pipe is barely warm.

It genuinely drove like it was easily 10-20 degrees colder out. Being able to run full boost all the time in very hot weather with just a fuel additive and some heat wrap is very nice.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]It genuinely drove like it was easily 10-20 degrees colder out.  
Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
So that means effectively 15-25 degC ambient?

British midsummer weather then, I don't think I need bother with the wrap unless I move to warmer climes......

I might still have a go with my thermometer though.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I certainly notice the difference between performance in our current heatwave (was 30C in West London yesterday
) and cooler days, even with my old man's woodburner. So I think it would be worthwhile doing over here. Just not very pretty
(like I care... )

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's ultimately up to you of course. But for $15 and 20 minutes of time (don't have to remove the pipes) I think it couldn't hurt to try.

Before heat wrapping and before my Torco fuel additive I would only get 8-11 psi of boost on hot days like today and who knows how much ignition retard! While I can't verify my current ignition timing the boost is pegged where it should be every time!

If you're skeptical but don't mind wasting a few quid give it a go. It's not permanent and easily removed. So if you don't like it, into the garbage bin it goes!

Dubbya~

p.s. Sorry if I'm being sort of a post hog.
I'm up late and medicated, so I have nothing better to do.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Was that gas-flue type of insulation you used?
I have plenty of armaflex black foam type, like you find on the PCV hose back to the manifold.
Perhaps I'll try some of that.....

I'd like to check the before/after temperatures though, surely if it made such a big difference, Saab could have made it with insulated pipes, or is there some other possible downside we haven't thought of yet, which Saab knows about?

Will it confuse T7????

·
Registered
662 Posts
does it work because it reflects the heat back into the bay adrian?.ive got a large roll of self adhesive aluminium (aloooominum) tape,would that do ok?
simon

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dont like the look of it ( like robbie the robots arms ) but i like the sound of the results.
Now i need to find some better looking wrap.

Full salutations for the disclosure

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know it's hardly stylish, but I've always been a "form after function" kinda guy, so.

The principle is pretty simple, you are basically just reflecting heat back into the engine bay. But the aluminum itself gets as hot as the rest of the engine bay so it needs an insulating layer underneath to be truly affective.

As for it confusing T7 ... hard to say why it would. T7 should just see a bit less knock on the radar, so to speak, and advance the torque to suit. T7 will just "feel" like it's driving in colder weather. Hopefully you'll feel like it too.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, it may not look too good, but, if it does the job, then thats the main thing !

I had a go at doing the same to my 9000 last night, air intake pipe & abbott boost pipe up to throttle body, will finish off the pipe from turbo to intercooler later this weekend and post some pics when completed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey, Adrian, aint you guys got no silver tie-wraps over there
So the silver foil part of insulate tape is compulsory component to reflect the heat or would the exhaust wrap stuff perform as well, mind you, the exhaust stuff is one hellova price and "on reflection" looks dont matter much as nobody sees below the bonnet (hooood) anyways.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Doesnt ERP have OBD logger available?
I would want to see the results.
Iam sure it will help but 50% lower intake temps seem odd.
Keep up the good work and post some result for people to see. It might be wise to termotec the exhaust manifold while you are at it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Results of fitting heat shielding wrap to my 9000 2.3t

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143844...169413668BMlmpq

You may also catch a glimpse of the exhaust wrap on my downpipe

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143844...169413316wCIeNV

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143844...169413752xRknEE

The turbo to intercooler pipe was the most difficult to wrap as you can see, helpfully the left hand o ring screw is nicely pointing away and not easy to remove, some sweet talking to swmbo with smaller hands and job completed. (not pictured)

Do I notice a difference ? bearing in mind how warm it is today (at least 26c+), I would def say it makes a difference, I removed the mbc and ran with the apc (abbott ecu) and was very impressed with the results, with strong boost through all the gears !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]50% lower intake temps seem odd.
[/qb][/b]
People have been confused by this statement so I made a graph to explain it better. It did not lower all intake temps by 50%, only the minimum temps.

But to get he full effect it is important to perform the other mods to reduce intake temps. Separately each mod does not have a dramatic effect on intake temps, but together they add up to a significant reduction.

Eric's Saab Site - Reducing Intake Temps

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by -=ERP=-:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]50% lower intake temps seem odd.
[/qb][/b]
People have been confused by this statement so I made a graph to explain it better. It did not lower all intake temps by 50%, only the minimum temps.

But to get he full effect it is important to perform the other mods to reduce intake temps. Separately each mod does not have a dramatic effect on intake temps, but together they add up to a significant reduction.

Eric's Saab Site - Reducing Intake Temps [/qb][/b][/quote]Thaks for clarifying it, now it looks more "realistic".
Can you say what kind of accect insulation does for max intake temps?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts