Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I sold my 91 2.3 Carlson, in an attempt to save money on fuel costs.
So I bought a 9-3 2.2 diesel. Not a bad car and does to an average of 40mpg, but it doesn't give that buzz like the Carlson did.
So, i've been thinking of selling the 9-3 and using the proceeds to purchase a 9000 Aero. Maybe add an LPG conversion.
Comments please.
Mick

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Mikey, the previous owner of my car bought another 9000 Aero as he changed my car for a Hirsh'd auto 9-5 Estate & missed the performance.

Upsides for me are awesome performance made even more awesome by the likes of Maptun and Speedparts, equipment levels, seats, decent fuel economy, monster boot, conservative looks, build quality & low purchase price.

The only downsides for me are that the styling is a little dated, both inside and out & the ride quality could be better. Oh, it also was a real pain to find a decent manual.

I can afford to run a much more expensive ( & newer!) car than the 9000 Aero, but it thrills in a straight line like few other cars I have ever driven.

I would consider a 9-3, but only a HPT petrol with decent suspension, such as John/'s.

As you have a diesel, I assume that you are interested in fuel consumption. Mine will do up to 32mpg on a run, but averages (not off the computer) around 26/7 mpg. You might consider an LPG conversion if you want to retain the low cost fuel thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
608 Posts
According to my fuel comp I average 31mpg, however at the pumps its around 27mpg.

However I do drive pretty hard over a mix of A roads and through town, so considering the performance I dont consider it too bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A big YES ! Infortunaly diesel Saab's are not what Swiss people are looking for !!! For half of the money it costs my car i can buy a 93/94 9000 Aero or a 94/96 NG900 Turbo and with the money save buy a lot of performance parts .

Next time !

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Originally posted by Leon [9-5 stg2]:
[qb] On LPG front..
it won't be so cheap much longer... the next budget will announce a tax hike on LPG.... and it will be hiked each year, sooner or later it'll be same price as petrol. [/qb][/b]
Is this official? I'm currently looking into Diesel / LPG options and obviously don't want to go the LPG route if that robbing bar steward's going to tax LPG too I'm only getting 30mpg out of my 115BHP Passat
As for the original question, I'd go for the Aero too

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Mike,

You'll have to be doing intergallactic mileages to make a LPG conversion work for you financially, and not all conversions are sucessfull. A friend had a disasterous fitment to his Discovery that not only destroyed what little performance it had but also had a negigable positive effect upon his fuel costs. Unless you have a proven fitter close at hand I'd save the money and put it towards your fuel costs.

Aeros' have much longer gearing than your Carly had and low thirties mpg is possible over long distances with a fair bit of self control .

Nick.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Tax story from Top Gear:

Drivers who invested heavily in having their cars converted to run on liquid petroleum gas have responded with fury to the Chancellor's pre-budget statement - in which the government announced that it has changed its mind on LPG's environmental benefits and decided to start raising the level of tax currently levied on the fuel...........but now Whitehall says that 'the environmental benefits of LPG do not warrant the current level of fuel duty incentive.'

The result is that duty on LPG will 'gradually rise' during the next three years, 'to a level more consistent with its perceived benefits.'

Full story here:
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/581/

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It took me about 30k - 40k miles to get payback on the install cost of LPG. Now I'm saving a minimum of £5 every hundred miles; £600 per year at least.

I'd be somewhat pi$$ed off to see duty increase, but if the price of petrol and LPG ever get close to each other then I'll take out the LPG and go for all those ECU upgrades you guys have that currently don't make sense for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.