Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gather that Abbott Tuning's Viggen Rescue Kit is a worthwhile modification/upgrade to any recent SAAB - let alone my humble (?)'02 9-3SE TiD - so its now under serious consideration. I'm by no means a "sporting" or an "enthusiastic" driver in any sense (*), however if fitting the Rescue Kit addresses any perceived weaknesses in the chassis or steering aspects then getting it fitted would seem to be a "sensible" course of action !

The problem is should I have the kit fitted now or should I wait until the SAAB warranty expires in 32 months ( !! ) time ? This is assuming that fitting the kit voids the warranty .... if it doesn't then Essex here I come .... !

Opinions welcomed !

(*) a mixture of work-related driving around SE England and regular tours of the French vineyards ( bringing back suitable samples of course ! )

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been struggling to decide with suspension mods to do on my 99 9-3 LPT - you may like to see my recent post on the performance board.
I've come to the conclusion that srings and dampers will make the most difference to handling without compromising ride quality too much.
The warranty question - I cannot give a definitive answer but my guess would be that seeing as Abbott are "official" saab aftermarket suppliers you'd have a reasonable chance of the warranty covering it. Best to check with the warranty people of course - if you do check with them please let me know as my warranty still has 6 months to run

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently emailed Abbot to ask which mods would improve the handling the most on my 1995 900S and their reply was that the Spring/Damper mod would make the biggest improvement and should be the first one on the list of things to do.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Gents,

Having made the modifications you are collectively considering, I agree that they should be done and will contribute to you enjoying the car more.

As to which modifications should be done first, my guess would be whatever your budget can stand.

As to warranty, over here we only get one years manufacturer's warranty. I'm assuming that's the case too in the UK, with the other 2 years of the 3 year deal being added by your dealer. So a good idea to check over your plans with them directly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and advice !

If bought from a SAAB dealer here in the UK, new SAAB's get a *transferable* 3-year/60000 mile warranty, which is nice, especially as my used TiD recently bought from my local dealer is only a few months old ....

However, according to the blurb, fitting anything other than "SAAB-approved and installed" parts in the specified 3y/60K period invalidates this warranty, which is not nice

With regard to Abbott's Viggen Rescue Kit, its equally ironic that although fitting it will ( by general and informed consensus) improve the car's handling, steering and overall "safety", its insurance premium will increase and many companies won't quote ....

Oh well. As I said above, only 32 months to go !

·
Registered
288 Posts
Chris JF - I sympahise with you

I have an aero with 2 yrs warranty left and want to go with the abbott ECM upgrade but am thinking the same as you. I either pay £1,400 for Hirsh to save my warranty or pay half the price and take the risk by going with speedparts or Abbott to install their chips who actually give you more HP ! Whats the answer. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ALSO

Its a tough one and still dont know what to do.

If I was with you, i would go with the Abbott rescue kit as I cannot see how that can invalidate your warranty, afterall what can it damage ? and why tell saab. If they see it during a service then fine, if they dont then your on a winner.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I guess the worry would be if something major goes wrong with the car - then the modifications provide a nice easy get-out clause for Saab and you're stuck with a hefty repair bill

My 9-5 will be out of warranty soon ... hello, Speedparts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisJF:
[qb]However, according to the blurb, fitting anything other than "SAAB-approved and installed" parts in the specified 3y/60K period invalidates this warranty, which is not nice        

[/qb][/b]
Strictly speaking, yes, but if push came to shove and it was something major, then I reckon the garage would have to prove that the mod you had made had caused or contributed to the fault.

It may be worth a chat with your dealer- some of them take a more relaxed view of mods. Unfortuntaely with suspension, it's not something you can cover up or swap out easily like reprogramming the ECU.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, Abbott are not official aftermarket resellers. However, I do know some dealerships will "unofficially" let you add their mods.

Mushdaffer- you could consider getting hold of a second hand ECU to get reprogrammed by Abbott, then it would be a 5 minute job to swap it over with the original every time it went to the garage- unless someone with more detailed knowledge can say that won't work because Tech2 will be able to pick up the fact that the ECU has been disconnected for a long period?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
On later models its not quite as simple as that inititally...
Due to the security system getting a second hand ecu to work will require work with Tech 2, and TIS... in theory after that you can swap as and when it takes your fancy..
Tech2 will display the software on the ECU, so even having 'plain' ecu case, when its plugged in it will display its abbott/speedpart/maptun software loaded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me again.

I've now had the chance to take the TiD out for its first "long & fast" run of 200 miles or so over a mixture of motorway, A-roads and country lanes.

Bearing in mind I'm not really a speed merchant, all I can say at this stage is "Hmmm". Compared to my previous car ( '98 Mondeo - never mind ) the TiD's steering seems vague and it certainly doesn't like some of the awkward bends and surfaces en-route that the Mondeo used to take in its stride. At times it felt like the TiD was tying itself up in knots - particularly when you were trying to brake and steer at the same time. It felt vague, uncertain and hardly confidence-inspiring, I'm afraid !

Viggen Rescue Kit, here I come

1 - 10 of 10 Posts