Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a worrying problem start today.

The car (1991 2.0l XS) was running fine this morning. LAter on I tried to start it but no joy. The engine was turning over okay and battery is fine. I came back a couple of hours later and it started first time. Just to see if everything was okay, I started driving round the block, and then a few hundred yards from home the engine just died on me and wouldn't restart. Again I left the car parked up for an hour or so and then it started first time again, and I was able to drive home okay. The car when started, will idle for a few minutes with no problems. Petrol tank is about 1/3 full.

I am wondering whether this is related to the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself. Is there an easy way to check? At the moment I am a bit reluctant to try venturing too far in case the problem materalises on a busy road.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Is the car DI? Mine packed up in similar circumsatnces as when warmed up the DI pack started to give up and if left to cool down, re-started. Have you had any other symptoms recently - the odd misfire? How long will it run for once started?

Mike

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My brothers 1991 CD did that - it was the DI cart (and then he had an unrelated crank sensor failure).

Its likely that your car will have a DI cart with a captive lead so if you are replacing it then you will need to get a DI cart and a separate leed. You may find that the local saab dealer might be willing to let you try one and if it works buy it (Montpellier Saab in Gloucester certainly did that for my brothers garage when his went the same way - but that night just be that they have a good working relationship).

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.