Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any of you know if there is a SAAB anywere in the world that has done the quarter mile in less than 10.88 seconds?
Robert Uhr at Nordic Uhr here in Sweden drove 10.88 a couple of weeks ago and had a top speed at 142 mph!
You can watch the car here:
http://nordictuning.com/specialprojects/saab_9-3_2.5t.html
They haven't had the time to update the site with the new results yet.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It probably is the world's fastest street legal Saab. But I'd wager the 750+ hp hillclimb car would be more than a match. Then again, the only thing Saab in that car is the engine.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's the thing about so much of this. I'm quite keen to keep as much of my Saab as I can. When you start tuning this way it might as well be any car and with that in mind why not do the work on something lightweight or purpose built.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
WRC cars are among the fastest vehicles in the world, and are all modified stock chassis.

The cost of a purpose built lightweight chassis can sometimes be more than the cost of a modified stock one, which can be nearly as quick.

I agree about keeping as much as my Saab as I can. But were I to make a purpose built racecar-for the road, I'd still use a Saab engine. There are few powerplants of similar weight that are as well built, and fewer still with the Ion Sensing Trionic Engine management system.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Prodrive in Banbury, circa £30,000 worth of kit but it is very very cool. Getting too much oversteer on a loose surface dial some more power to the front, running on Tarmac rather than gravel setup torque biasing based on lateral G and it'll bias power through corners to give you a touch of oversteer/understeer at the correct point on the way to/from the apex.

Matt

·
Registered
608 Posts
I also think a similar 9-3 is also used for European Ralyycross, or it certainly was used by Per Eklund.

Certainly Rallycross cars at one point were the fastest accelerating motorsport vehicles this side of pure drag cars. 0-100 circa 4 seconds !

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]     I thought you meant the Hillclimb Viggen.

IIRC Nordic's 6 speed is from one of the newer Saabs?

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
It a six speed qulify box with strait cut gears.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]It was the same car.  After winning the Euro rally it was converted for the Hillclimb. [/qb][/b]
I'm 99% sure the Pikes Peak car was a new build especially for the event and not a conversion/rebuild from one of Per's Rallycross cars.
IIRC the Hillclimb car was finacially sanctioned by the Saab AB board after Per had won the Euro RallyX championship, so in effect to all intents it's a 'works' car with company sponsors, whereas the Rallycross cars are Per's and built from personal sponsorship.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I do remember reading a magazine article a few years back, which pictured both the rallycross car and the pikes peak car.

I am pretty sure the rallycross car was considerably lighter than the other, but less powerful, as I believe it ran a restictor to conform with the regs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I meant was whether there was another SAAB that had got a time card from the dragstrip that was faster than Robert.
If Per Eklunds Pikes Peak Viggen is faster or not is purely speculation since he has never been to the drag strip. There is no doubt that Per Eklunds car is a real monster (I've seen it live on Kinnekulle track here in Sweden and it was the most impressive I've even seen) but he still has no time card.
Robert has a 6-speed Quife-kit from Sellholm tuning here in Sweden. It is fitted in the original gearbox.
This car was originaly built mostly for a fun day at the track but since another guy here in Sweden squeesed out 750 bhp in his 9-3 to be fastest SAAB on the drag strip Robert also started to go to the same events.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I would think Per's Pikes Peak car would only be quicker if a different set of gear ratios etc. were put in.

I would think it would be at max speed on the rev limiter after about 100m in it's hillclimb spec....

As you say, Robert's car may well be the fastest Saab with a timecard...

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've driven up Pikes Peak, and there are a couple of quite long straights, so you would need some longer gears to make the most of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We can discus this for a long time, but we really now first when Per eklund is driving on the quarter mile.

Roberts Saab i sent just fast on the quarter mile, its also fast on the racetrack-
Look at this movie:
Nordic motorsport movie

The silver Saab in the end is PA´s Saab whit 750hp.
Its almost the same engine as in the Pike peaks Saab.

This is just a fun movie, no hard feelings in it.

Regards Sasse

1 - 20 of 26 Posts