Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just changed the butterfly bushes on the Carlsson this afternoon for Poly bushes after getting back from visiting my sister.

Is this the worlds easiest job? It took 20 minutes total to do both side.

Needed:-

1 trolley jack on front jacking point
13mm socket (2 long bolts)
14mm socket (2 short bolts)
18mm open ended/ring (1 self locking nut)
1 tyre lever (to lever bush down enough to slip off)

Test drive will be tonight on the way to the Windmill (pub).

Andrew
Who now has 2 more dead bushs to fit 2 more poly's to for the Aero.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been out for a little spin now.

Ride is no harsher than befoe, but tramlining has all but disapeared.

One part of the journey back from the pub is notorious, but tonight I hardly noticed it at all.

Andrew.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,

I've now done 60 miles today (Beers of Europe, Setchey near Lynn, 12 bottles for £10) and can say the bushes have made a difference.

Yesterday I said that they had almost eliminated tramlining.

Today I noticed that I was oversteering into corners! (not back end out, but giving too much steering input). The car wants to turn quicker than before.

There is a very small increase in vibration at the steering wheel but not much.

While tramlining has gone, you can still feel the camber changes on the road through the wheel, but I no longer need to concously (sp) correct for it.

Another thing to niote is that the poly bushes are a solid construction while the rubber ones are open at the rear end (like a letter U) so that there is only about 1/2 inch of rubber supporting the car.

Finally, as a plus point, the poly bushes are guaranteed for 2 years while the saab rubber ones are for 1 year (and my 1 year old rubber ones have already started to split).

Andrew

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anything that involves getting on your back is normally a pain,{there is one exception tho' } ,but i've just done the ribbed belt on the CDS b202 no A/c in 15mins,with faffing about included, all standing up from the engine bay (you know what i mean!). I found the 1/2 inch ring spanner the best bet for the idler pulley nut & a long screwdriver for getting the belt over the alternator pulley from this position.
Anybody else got quick fixes ? and no,replacing bulbs dont count (unless they are in instrument panel }

1 - 7 of 7 Posts