Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, just had to share my pleasure having just removed my 1993 Aero head.

No sign of any cracks, no block pitting, and a gasket that didn't really show any signs of letting go any time soon.

The main aim was to attack the chains but given the extra hour and a half to get the head off I thought, it would be really silly not to just get this done once. There hadn't been any signs of the head gasket being a problem except for a bit of oil weepage just above the gearbox side but given my luck had I left it alone it would have let go within a week.

I was quite surprised at the condition of the chains too. The balance sprocket on the crank looks pretty good although very close inspection shows pitting on all the gear teeth on all sprockets so they'll all get changed. The rattling would appear to be mainly the balance chain with the tensioner at full extension although the timing chain tensioner was @ 14.5mm

Since this is a 1993 and the much increased cost of the balance chain kit, I won't be putting it back on, just the timing kit.

Now for the dilemma. Added to all of this i'm also replacing both belt pulleys, the belt and have just had the alternator reconditioned. I'm this far, should I leave the valves alone or give them a quick lap? I don't have a spring compressor and know that I need the more expensive one to get down to the Saab valves.

Can anyone lend/hire their valve spring compressor to me? I'd rather try to avoid another £35+ for a tool that I only expect to use once for a long time. Sorry if I sound a bit cheap but costs have already escalated and the alternator was £90 to get done which was more than expected and by the time i've added the cost of the valve seals, i'm not sure I'd want to spend another £55 just to change valve seals.

Anyone please? grovel etc?

David.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly which is why it's all changing on the chain/sprockets side. Was just pleased there weren't any cracks showing in the head as I already have a 2.0 head with cracks thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.