Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Can anybody advise me the approved way to fit a wooden dash that I'm about to get for my Aero. I was just going to use contact adhesive, unless there's a better way.

And, should there be a warning light somewhere to show that the cruise control is in the on position. Also, what does TIP actually stand for?

Cheers - DaviD J

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You really don't want to glue the wooden one on top of the plastic one!

Rather you need to remove the present plastic one and refit the wooden on in it's place then replace all the gubbins.

David.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Just wondering

Is this a original saab dash or some kind of kit your chatting about?. Ive did the plastic to walnut swap and its well worth it.

If its an original dash and you are swapping out you just need to watch for the screws just in front of the speedo gauges, down by the gear stick and a few hidden ones inbetween the heated seat/headlight switches.

Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thanks for saving me from an awful mistake! It's an original one, I didn't realise there was a plastic one on there already, although when I came to fit it, I'd probably have realised. So it's all got to come out then! Still, shouldn't be that difficult - the switches, radio, CD come out easily enough...
I'll watch outfor the screws, any other tips ??

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi I fitted a maple one a while ago and put this post on here
Hope it helps.
Ant

Hi all

The dash was very easy to fit, the main problem being with removing the ashtray which I always seem to struggle with. It took me about 1 1/2 hours in total.
I did not remove the steering wheel and it was still easy, just pulled it as far out as it would come on the adjustment.
I did remove the dash top, the dash is retained by it in places. The bulbs are tricky to get to though.

The tricky bits were finding out how to unclip the air vents, be careful as the plastic on the dash is quite brittle. I managed to crack the side one...superglue time.

getting the right hand bank of switches out was fiddly as well.

Oh and make sure you label the bolts/screws as it's easy to mix them up.

Also the heated seats...green plug is drivers side

I did not remove the A pillar trim, just makes it tight getting speaker grilles in but OK

It does not rattle and fits perfectly.
I'll get some digicam photos in next couple of days when I can borrow one.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by geriatrix:
[qb]Hi and thanks for saving me from an awful mistake! It's an original one, I didn't realise there was a plastic one on there already, although when I came to fit it, I'd probably have realised. So it's all got to come out then! Still, shouldn't be that difficult - the switches, radio, CD come out easily enough...
I'll watch outfor the screws, any other tips ?? [/qb][/b]
Other tips:-

Be careful when removing the vents from the old and fitting to the new, the clips can be brittle.

Get the correct wooden dash, there are 2, one with and one without the round hole for a hazard light switch as earlie 9000's had the switch on the steering column.

Andrew

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes good point, I ended up with a dash that had no hole for the hazard light switch, ended up having to create one myself which worked out ok in the end. However its not a job that I was over the moon about doing incase I damaged the dash in the process.

The important thing is, to take time and just keep tabs on what your doing .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips. Got it done this afternoon, and for me the result was excellent - only 1 screw and 1 clip left over, and it all seems to fit nicely. Annoyingly, one of the thin plastic cover pieces from the Alpine/Saab CD player disappeared into another dimension during the course of the work. I'll have to make a substitute, or cover the hole with black inulating tape!

I noticed that one of the connectors into the back of the ACC unit, a thinnish one, doesn't actually appear to connect to anything, but just gets secured in place with the normal clips. Presumably this one is only used for the manual AC switch console. Or is it a diagnostic link?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've just fitted cruise to my '97 Anniversary (I can't believe they didn't have it as standard) so I am really into cruising at the moment!

When you put it on, you flick the switch to the left, yes? Now that you are on, you set it with the end button "SET" (obviously!) and go from there. If you want to pause, you lightly flick the switch to the right (very lightly though) and that is the "TIP" that it mentions. At this point cruise comes off, and the light flashes off very slightly.

Then you click the rocker to the left again (quite hard, it makes a proper clicking noise) to resume at your last speed - useful for when someone slow pulls out in front of you on the motorway!

HTH

absgt
1997 CSE Anniversary 2.3t
1990 2.0T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.