Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone any ideas on this,I'm going to see a 2.3Auto tonight that starts but doesn't run I can only assume that he means it doesn't keep running enough to drive it.
When I spoke to him he said someone told him that was the fuel relay or something like that,but he made it quite it will have to be towed and at no more tham 30,thats fair enough but is it this fuel relay,or could there be something else.
Cause if it was (the relay)where is it because I could take the one out mine with me if it was easy access and the same.
Any info on this would be great,thanks.

Regards

·
Registered
102 Posts
The relay is behind the fuses.

You have to take out the glovebox - about 6 screws.
Then take out the 2 screws that hold the fuses in place.
The fuses then hinge down and you see all the relays.
If you're lucky there'll be a sticker on the top of the glovebox body saying which fuse is which.

To save all of that hassle, you can take a wire and bridge across 12v onto the fuel pump fuse. Easiest if you have a multimeter to find a spare live 12v terminal in one of the empty fuse positions.
If the pumps working you should be able to hear it.

Gadgeteer

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mutungi'

I appreciate what you are saying but how could an auto box (thats failed) cause it not to start?,well maybe I suppose if the connections at the gear lever are dodgy,I take it thats what you mean.

Gadgateer'

I can only hope it's something like that,I'll take the relay out mine,and the fuel pump also.
But I tell you,the way it starts and stops right away,it reminds me of the time with mine I put the air filter in the wrong way (no laughin' now!!)and it soon as started it stopped,well thats excatly what this is like.
It would be ok if was something as simple as that,but the fact that the guy said he'd been driving it and it just "chucked it" as he said! I suppose rules that out,it's just the symptoms are the same.
I also thought something even more simple,no bloody petrol!!,but it's probably nothing as simple as that known my luck.
But I bought it anyway,becuase it has 115k and a FSH up to 99500,the car is absolutely immaculate in/out I really was very surprised at the condition,it's ten times better looking/kept that mine.
And it was only £150,ok it's a "non runner",but hopefully it not anything serious,but again known my luck it will be.
Well I'll see how I get on now,at least I can use mine for spares eg- the leather interior/walnut dash,then just sell what's left of mine for spares/repairs.
Thanks guy's for the info,no doubt I'll a few queeries later,cheers.

Regards

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried an other relay,out my car that works & the one for the injection system and it didn't do anything.
Someone said it could be getting to much petrol,it still starts but wont keep running,I'm baffled anyone any other ideas please.
Well one thing he said was the guy from the RAC came out and looked at it,and opened the plastic cover at the wipers,but he said he couldn't do anything,I know there is a silver or black box inder there (passenger side)but I also know the ECU (I think what it is) is under the front passenger seat so what's the box at the bulkhead at the passenger side.
And whatever the box is would the one from the 2.0 manual be the same as the 2.3 auto?,any further help would be greatfull.

Regards

·
Registered
243 Posts
When you say it runs, the obvious question is 'how long for?' I recently had a problem where the car stopped dead after a bit of smoke coming up from the dashboard demister vents. It would run for a few seconds every hour after that until the fuel pump wire had been replaced/repaired in the dash loom, nothing else was damaged and it runs fine now - just a thought

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave'

It runs for about 2-3 sec's and thats it,there isn't any smoke anywhere it'll do that till the battery runs flat.
But I had a guy out to look at it tonight and thinks it might be bad earths,because the earths at the battery (the one's at the side at the front,in the case) where the thick red cables are,they are rusted solid.So I'll take the one's off mine tommorrow,and basically clean the rest.
I did find out tonight that the car hadn't been ran for 10 months or so.I saw a new earth strap at the back the one beside the engine mount,but he thats what he thinks (the earths) personaly I dont think a bad earth/earths would cause a car to start for literally seconds then stop,but maybe I'm wrong,what do you think?.

Regards

·
Registered
188 Posts
sounds like it may be the fuel pump, but it could be anything, if you are buying the car this should reflect in the price, the autobox won't cause the car not to start, my guess is fuel pump

Aym

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aym'

I did buy it,but only £150 because of this,it's an H reg 2.3,and the car in/out is absolutely stunning.
With a FSH up to 99497 it has 112k on it,so I thought I would try and get it going.
I thought of the fuel pump also,but this other guy thinks bad earths,I dont!,but I'm dying to find out just what it is.

Regards

·
Registered
243 Posts
From my recent experience I would say that if every other electrical system is working as it did/should (v. hard to know on a car you've just bought I realise ) it's either the fuel pump - easy enough to check - or the wiring related to the fuel pump - bit of a bugger to check that tho.....

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave'

Yep,there have a couple of replies saying check the fuel pump.I think I'll take mine (just as well I have a spare car,to canabolise!)and try it,all the electrics seem fine.
According to the previous owner & the guy I know it's might be getting to much fuel eg-flooding it,but I would have thought it wouldn't start,I dont how much truth is in that,again I would have thought (with past experience on bikes)If it floods your nackered till it clears.
I suppose putting in another fuel pump will tell me if it's that and if not then it's probably electrical,I think!.

Regards

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The problem almost certainly lies with the fuel pump relay. At ignition switch on the pump runs for a few seconds to bring the system up to pressure, thus enabling the engine to start. Once the engine is running the relay is kept in by the ECU providing a path to ground . If the engine stops the ground provided by the ECU goes high, the relay drops out and the pump stops. this is a safety feature. There is always the possibility that the ECU is a fault but I think this is unlikely.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Derek

The fuel fuel pump relay thats the one behind the glove box (on the "tray"),if it is there are two side by side the left one for the injection system the other for the pump (small silver boxes about inch & square),I took the one's out my car (which runs fine) and put them both in the other one but it didn't make any diffirence so it cant be the relay,or is there another one I dont know about?

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.