Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track Control Arm ( wishbone ) rear bush.
Can this be replaced without removing the TCA. BillJ's site gives a good procedure but he's changing the front one as well.
I am sure someone here recently said they'd replaced the rear bush without even removing the wheel.
Would this only apply to original Saab bushes but not polys or what?
Was going to have a look today after replacing rear brake pads but ran out of time.
Ta. Harvey

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, it can be done without removing the arm, but I've never done it without removing the wheel. It would be possible but you'd probable need a pit or a lift. The wheel must come off the ground (you can't do it with weight on the bush) and it is as well to unbolt the anti-roll bar drop-link to allow the arm more movement.

If the old one comes off easily (I've had to take a chisel to some to jar them free of the spindle), then I'd say they can be done in half an hour each, once you've done it once.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill, half an hour sounds good to me, it'll probably take me two.
Do the new bushes from Superflex come with the 'butterfly' housing and if not does the old bush come out easily, in two halves, or is it one piece and have to be pressed out?
If someone could answer that for me I'll be deciding what to fit.

Harvey

·
Registered
778 Posts
Harvey, the Superflex bushes don't come with
the aluminum 'butterfly' housing (never heard
them called that before!) and the old rubbers
are very difficult to remove from the housings.
Some have had luck burning them out with
a torch, but I gave mine to a friend/machinist
who machined them out. Also, it took quite
a bit of effort with a hydraulic press fitting the
poly' bushings into the housings. And when
it came time to place the inner steel bushings
it was found that inside diameter of the poly'
was larger than the diameter of the steel
bushings. Fortunately, my friend machined
a new, larger, set of steel bushings and they were much better. There's no need to remove
any other suspension components, other than
the bolts that secure the back plate that covers
the rear bushings. I just used a chippies'
flat-bar to leverage the rear end of the wishbone down. Once the end nut is removed, the bushing and mount just slide
right out........I had both wheels removed and
the vehicle resting on jack stands placed at
the front corners of the sub-frame.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was only the front bushes that needed pressing you see. And my mate down the road with a hydraulic press has just moved to Cornwall.
Maybe I'll just whip one out and have a look at it then decide on genuine Saab, Euro Car Parts, or Superflex.

Harvey

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Harvey, a hydraulic press isn't strictly necessary. I have done a couple of sets of these bushes with only a large vice (that's a "vise", Robert ). The thing to remember is that when it distorts out of all recognition and looks as if it'll never go, it's just trying to fool you into giving up

I suppose a flat piece of wood or metal between the vice jaw and the bush would make it go in a bit straighter.

See these pictures for how we did it for Alan B's Aero:

Bush pressing 1
Bush pressing 2
Bush pressing 3
Bush pressing 4
Bush pressing 5

To get the old rubber out, I burned it with a blowtorch. You need to get a good hot flame well into the hollow side of the rubber and hold it there for a while. Eventually, the rubber will burn unaided and you can leave it until the rubber has turned to ash, then scrape it away.

Here's a photo:

Burning bush

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
remembering that

1. Aluminium doesn't glow red before turning to blup like terminator 2, and

2. When I tried burning mine out it kept going out and I've ended up with a sticky burn rubber mess.

3, My next attempt will be to remove the rubber will be in a myford lathe...., also convenient to make up new centre bushes.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]That was a 4 coffee job?
bush 5 [/qb][/b]
Well, we'd hired a proper workshop for the day so we thought we'd get completely into the "back-street garage" routine
[Sharp intake of breath] "yer lookin' at about a day's work, mate"

·
Registered
552 Posts
When I did mine I cut the old bush out with a hacksaw; just two cuts at opposite sides then prise the bush out- mine was 13 years old and it was only stuck to the metal at one point.

Also if you dunk the polybush in boiling water for a few moments, it's far easier to insert,just using a mechanic's vice - it squirms like mad then just slips through neatly

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wonder why Superflex don't supply those ones split to save all that pressing?

Maybe obvious when you actually look at it though, which I haven't. Considering doing it though...

There's a good mechanic near me though with a press so I usually bung him a fiver or tenner depending to do jobs like that (lazy.. moi?)

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by JohnCC:
[qb]Wonder why Superflex don't supply those ones split to save all that pressing?        

Maybe obvious when you actually look at it though, which I haven't.  Considering doing it though...

There's a good mechanic near me though with a press so I usually bung him a fiver or tenner depending to do jobs like that (lazy.. moi?) [/qb][/b]
I wonder why Superflex can't supply the whole thing pre-pressed. This would help the extremely lazy people like me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts