Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I get a definitive wiring diagram for my Aero (first reg Jan 1998) ?

I presume Saab do proper workshop manuals - are they available to the man in the street?

BTW I've got a Haynes manual..........

·
Registered
778 Posts
Paul, I think Saab still does the electrical schematics for the '96-'98 (here in the 'States, it covers all the OBDII models).
Rumor has it that the older version Trionic ('93 1/2- '95) is no longer available. I have a few copies of the Trionic, AC, EDU, 2 speed fan, etc. schematics, but not the complete Electrical System service manual. If you only need the Trionic schematics, they're available in the 2:7 Engine management system manual. Anyway, a Saab dealer, over there, should be able to help you. I'd offer to email a copy, but my digital cameral is down, and I don't have a scanner

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Also, AllData seems to cover electrical data that for UK models. At least, I haven't yet found a discrepancy between their schematics and my '96 Aero. It covers both OBDII and non-OBDII for that year. Don't know whether that goes for later years (OBDII was introduced on the '96 US models, I believe).

The AllData information appears to be based on (and largely scanned from) the factory manuals. I've found it quite useful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to be dumb, but what is OBDII?

BillJ, I take it you don't have the Saab manual? Are any of the other Saab workshop manuals worth having (if anyone has any of them)?

Thanks for the advice will subscribe to AllData anyway.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In the simple terms I understand it (others can elucidate further) OBDII is an industry protocol for diagnostics, standing IIRC for, On Board Diagnostics (II is ver 2).

Basically it's an attempt at trying to standardise the protocols for communication with car ECU's across different manufacturers (or am I talking a load of old tosh?)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Mark is correct. As far as I know, no UK-spec. 9000s have it. It became a requirement for US-spec. cars in '96, and is intended to allow for interrogation of the system during vehicle inspection (which is why it was standardised). The reason I mention it is that the wiring is slightly different to accommodate things like a second lambda probe after the cat, etc.

I don't have a factory manual. I'm told that of all the Saab manuals, the appropriate electrical manual is by far the most useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts