Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wrestling with a headlight problem on my 98 Anniversary and the MOT is due at the end of the month . Anybody know if the Haynes manual includes the Anni ? Any alternatives available in the UK ?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scaero, that was quick

The full beam to dipped function was getting increasingly intermittent and would get stuck in one state or the other. I checked out the stalk switch and my trusty meter said it worked every time, so (thanks to posts here) I deduced it was the A+B relay. Fitted a 2nd hand relay and that seemed to fix it, but only for a week. Now it seems to have gone again I fear I am now looking for an intermittent dodgy connection or earth. The offending connection may be in the relay box - disturbing it with a new realay may have made it work briefly. It is not obvious to me how to release enough wire to get to the underside of the socket block in the relay box.

On a minor point, there is a plastic clip inside the relay box to hold the A+B relay in place. I have managed to let mine drop right down and can't figure out how to pull it back up - I ass ume it has ratchet barbs somewhere but can't figure out how to release them.

Any hints on any of the above appreciated.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The other option is the stalk connector.

My Aero had the same problem afew years ago, wouldn't switch from mb to dipped and back (quite embarasing when you are driving at someone on MB and can't dip).

I checked the stalk and all was OK, but found that the connector block was very tight to the uderside of the dash and the pressure from above and was making a bad connection at the bottom of the block.

I modified the dash and block to get a bit more space and everything has been OK for years now (I have an early SRS car where the steering wheel can't be adjusted).

Andrew

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Andrew, I will be sure to check out the connector on my travels through the wiring loom. I guess it could also be a faulty 2nd hand relay.

Anyone else got a favourite obscure headlight gremlin (preferably with fix!)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I reckon it must be the replacement relay. Pinout is as follows:

A2 Dip beam o/p
A4 Switched ground feed from stalk
A5 Main beam o/p
B2 Perm +12V
B4 Ground
B5 From headlight rotary sw

The ground is shared between the two circuits, so if it was faulty, it would affect both main and dip beam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.