Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I started to put right the restyling of July 9th with the aid if the Big Nev contribution.

Below are a few pics of where I'm up to.

Take one bent car...

Remove the lower aero spoiler, under tray and any bent wings.

Place bent wing away so you do not refit by accident

Remove upper Aero spoiler to allow easier wing fitting and to changed siezed nut fasterners

Keep everything neat

New fasterners, a special Auto brand...

Fit newer and freshly painted wing

start to think about undertray repairs.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not too bad.

I spent about 4-5 hours today fixing.

Pic one was that start point, only the wing wasneeding replacement, all else is recoverable.

The lower spoiler needs some plastic welding from a previous hare incident and the tyre wall, NSF fog needs the lower mount glueing back on.

hardest bit is the hundreds of siezed fastners.

Undertray was broken by the hare too and then wind pressure at Goodwood (120mph+) bent the broken edges down into the track and wore it away.

2nd hand one was £15

I'm just taking it nice and steady as I am on holiday

New wing looks a lot better than the old.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I like your cavity anchors...
that makes two of us ....

I fixed my undertray where it was split with copious amounts of hot melt glue with some strengthening bits o plastic ...

to attach the undertray to itself and to the bottom spoiler I used a screw and a kind of spikey nut kind of thing which bites into the plastic holds the nut in place until you can tighten it ..
....good job so far

that wing is sooo shiiinnneeeyy

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]I like your cavity anchors...
that makes two of us ....          

that wing is sooo shiiinnneeeyy    :thumbsup:  [/qb][/b]
No one and no where seems to stock the auto 4mm captive nuts, but homebas is doing good trade.

I got 6 * 6mm ones for the undertray mounts.

Wing shiny? too shiny for the car....

Pic one has a shiney Ylee pipe on display too.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]Looking good Andrew, but if you're anything like me you'll be annoyed about how badly the new paintwork shows up the old! [/qb][/b]
I did all the prep work on the new wing and had it sprayed on the cheap, so fingers crossed it will not be too out of touch with the rest of the 11yr old panels.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I fitted a missing centre undertray at the weekend, which also required fitting replacement wing undertrays too as the fixing points for the centre one had broken. It was a right pain getting them off so I'm wanting to avoid the same problem again. I guess I could use the mild steel captive nuts and get some M6 stainless bolts. Do the ones you have look like standard M6 threads?
Kev

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest the threads look finer on the saab fittings.

I'll go and test one in a few minutes when I go outside and try the 5th thing to glue the front spoiler (PUR plastic, polyurethane to you and me, not weldable and doesn't stick to much either....)

Andrew

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Sorry, I meant are the threads on your new Homebase captive nuts M6 or M4? Then I'll just get some stianless bolts and hopefully even if the Homebase captive nuts rust they won't bind to the stainless bolts.
Kev

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh yes,

The homebase stuff is all standard M4 and M6 threads.

Got the under trays back on now, just need to:-

tidy up
fit wheel arch liner
fit SAS front ARB
make new wastegate bracket for actuator
waxoyl the rear box sections
fix clutch cruise switch
change the exhaust centre section to JT from home built.
wash it

All before Saturday...

Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.