Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 9000 2.0 CSE LPT which has developed a fault on the windscreen washer. When I operated the windscreen washers, the jets worked fine and the wipers cleared the screen. Then, immediately after the wipers stopped, the jets started again and the wipers started wiping and neither have stopped since!
Does anyone have any idea what might cause this or how it might be recitified???
The wipers appear to have corrected themselves now but I can still hear the washer motors going (no water is coming out as the water bottle is now empty).
I suspected a relay but am no mechanic so any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It could be a shorted diode in the headlight washers, or as happenend in my case the cable to one of the headlight washers got pushed against the serpentine belt and got worn through till it shorted out. Mine did it at 70+mph on the M5!

So check the cables and try disconnecting the headlight washers and see if it goes away. Short term you can pull the fuse in the glove box but I think it takes the horn out as well

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, pulling the fuse was how I resolved it at firstbut as the windscreen wipers have stopped now I have replaced it.
I will take a look at the cables and see if this helps, it does seem to be the headlight washers that are running.

Thanks again.

Rob

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In the meantime, rather than disable the horn too, you could disconnect the headlamp wipers- it's the 3 pole connetor with red, yellow & black wires that lurks behind the headlights, in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As I recall the washer pump and headlight wipers are not operated by a relay. The contact on the column switch directly feeds the washer pump and headlight wipers and simultaneously switches on the wiper relay which gives 4 sweeps of the wipers. For the washers and the wipers to remain on would require the contacts on the column switch to be stuck closed!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]it's the 3 pole connetor with red, yellow & black wires that lurks behind the headlights, in the engine bay. [/qb][/b]
And if they are anything like mine you will need a couple of screwdrivers and a couple of large pairs of pliers to pull them apart!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.