Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a leaking windscreen washer resevoir 0n my 97 Aero. The leak seemed to be coming from a T piece just next to the pump. Unfortunately, as I disconnected it from the pump it came free from the other 2 hoses and now I'm not sure which way round it goes.
I am assuming it is a non return valve and after blowing through with compressed air it seems OK again although it requires quite a lot of pressure to open it.

The picture on AllData is not very clear and seems to show the pump connected to one of the 'arms' of the T and the windscreen and headlamp hoses connected to the remaining 'arm' and the 'leg' of the T. This doesn't seem quite right. Anyone tell me how they should be connected?

Thanks in advance

Paul.

·
Registered
256 Posts
replaced mine the other week,they have an arrow etched on them that should point away from the bottle.while you have them off i would fit new ones as they will fail again. whole set cost me about a fiver.cheapest thing ive ever bought from saab!

·
Registered
256 Posts
mm,having read that back it wasnt too helpful
the t piece nearest the bottle should be upside down viewed from underneath. the short pipe from the bottle goes on the right arm of the T,headlamp on the middle,windscreen on the right.thats how it is on my 2.3 lpt,hope it helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Paul,
The 'T' piece is a non-return valve and if it's leaking the thin rubber diaphragm inside has gone. I prised open the shot T-piece near the reservoir and replaced the rubber with a bit cut out of a surgical glove, clipping the circular top back on the valve before trimming it.
The T-piece does not function according to perceived logic. On of the cross-arms of the T is the inlet, the two outlets are at right angles to each other! This you'll have to figure by tial and error.
Don't test the T-piece with any more pressure than your lungs can develop otherwise you are looking at a new diaphragm. Again!
Steve

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The T is not so much a one way valve as an anti dribble valve. The headlight washers are lower than the reservoir, so without it the fluid runs out of the washers all the time.

The main flow (upto the screen) goes across the top of the T (i.e. straight on). The flow to the headlights comes out of the bottom of the T. The original valves also had a brass restrictor fitted in the bottom of the T. Flow to the headlights only starts when the pump exerts sufficient pressure to open up the spring loaded valve inside.

Repair is possible using the surgical glove method, and valve life depends on the type of washer additive that you use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. The diaphragm was perished so I thought I'd use the T piece on the bonnet as it is a lot easier to change. However, as Mark B points out the pump T has a brass restrictor, so I just swapped over the diapgragms and did a temporary repair on the T on the bonnet.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.