Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Windscreen cleaner?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  gassy 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for a good cleaner?. I have been using something called Holts 'Mixra' but my windscreen is still hazy and smeared.

At this time of year, with early sunsets and dazzling from headlights, anything that can be done to improve visibility is a must.

I have heard about exotic mixtures of water and ammonia or vinegar or meths? but I wouldn't want to risk anything damaging seals or paintwork.

#2 ·
The main problem comes from grease build up. An easy, cheap and practical solution to this is to use a sponge or brush to work neat (ie with no water) washing up liquid over the surface of your windscreen. Washing up liquid is in essence a degreaser, and as such it works much more effectively if you don't add water first.

Washing up liquid, when used neat, is also quite a good hand cleanser, although you do need to use moisturiser afterwards.

#8 ·
granted washing up liquid has salt in it but it is not as if you are going to be doing it every week, and with the amount of salt on our roads in the winter it is hardly going to rust your car out from under you any more than the tha acid or sugar in the cola will.

#9 ·
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]granted washing up liquid has salt in it but it is not as if you are going to be doing it every week, [/qb][/b]
Well, I hope not - but I did meet someone who actually used to wash their car with domestic washing up liquid
...I just wanted to be clear, here, that it is not a good thing to be doing.

#11 ·
Yup, sorry, I ought to have added that you shouldn't get the liquid on your paintwork
- once you've cleaned the screen, you need to rinse it off with LOTS of fresh water to make sure there's no liquid solution left gathering in the drainage channels.

I've also found that IPA (that's IsoPropyl Alcohol, not the beer ) is very good if you have any available.

#15 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input. I appear to have triggered a minor controversy here!

I must admit that I had been thinking along the lines of something based on alcohol to counter greasy/oily film but, anti-freeze has alcohol or ethanol(a close relative?) in it doesn't it and I know anti-freeze is NOT good for paintwork.

Perhaps I'll start with the least radical option of a Windolene type cleaner (minus wirewool) and see if that is any improvement.

#16 ·
Hi all,
I use auto-glym fast glass too clean windscreen,
which is very good
for dead flys & bugs just use wirewool
then once windscreen is clean
use rain-x on it... great stuff I only use intermitent wipers in normal rain as rain-x beads water & the water runs upwards with the forward speed of the car , speeds above 30mph..
(I always use wipers in heavy rain!!!!
)
do not forget too clean your wiper blades...
hope it helps you
cheers Paul

#17 ·
Tried that rain-X stuff once and nearly killed myself!

When the water beads into fine droplets, they magnify light - sun light or headlights to such a degree the screebn becomes opaque and you can't see thro' it even with wipers on. Couldn't wait for it to wear off.

I'll never use it again.

Go for the auto-glym - it's brilliant.

#18 ·
I used to run a cleaning company and found most of the propriatory glass cleaners to be much of a muchness,all advice given so far is good but I would steer clear of wire-wool,I nick the wifes used plastic pan scrubber then apply one of the creams used for cleaning the stove top and bath, it contains pumice,the same as tooth paste only cheaper,wash off,then use a chamois and finish off with a good wadge of kitchen paper.
I have found that some of the cheaper washer additives cause smearing,too strong a mixture will sometimes cause this as well.

#20 ·
For cleaning the inside of the windows I have found a washing up cloth damp with soapy water (as though washing the pots with fairy liquid/water) gets off the dirt and then to dry with a soft clean cloth. The inside of the windscreen seems to be more of a problem than the outside for causing glare from lights/sun.

#23 ·
Wash-up liquid from time to time (well rinsed off, of course ) A squeegee with plastic and rubber edges gets rid of most of the dead beasties. Once or twice a year I use the Auto Glym product inside and out as per the instrucxtions. And I agree, cheap washer additive is worse than useless. I use Decasol, have done for years and it is absolutely the best, doesn't smear - but not very widely available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.