Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres one for us to chew over-:
I've found a G reg carlsson in a local breakers and the thought came over me; can I use parts off the carly to upgrade my 2.0 eco (93)?
or to put it another way what gives the carly 200 bhp?
Is it a different turbo or ecu that gives the extra power?
Whats the thinking out there? is this a cheap upgrade option?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Is that a CD or hatchback? If it is a CD, I'll have the bumper and withdraw the rest of the kit from sale.

But in answer to your question;

1. You can't use the ECU as the Carlsson was used Jetronic fuel control and a separate APC (turbo) control box, wherease you can is Trionic.
2. You could "possibly" use the springs. Perhaps someone else could verify this?
3. You could use the Intercooler and APC Solenoid valve, if your eco doesn't have an IC or Solenoid valve to convert your car to an FPT by obtaining the correct ECU for your car.
3. If the wheels are 16" 3-spoke Aeros .. BUY THEM ANYWAY, they are very well sought after.

HTH

Jason.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jason,
The carly is a cd, if memory is right i think the back bumpers goosed, think the front is intact though, I can check next week if you like.
The wheels are long gone unfortunately, i'd have loved them for mine.
So you think the springs might fit? i hadn't thought of them... if anyone can confirm i'd appreciate.
You also think the i/c might fit? scuse the ignorance but what will that do for my car?
really gratefull for the help,

davy

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Big Davy:
[qb]Hi jason,
You also think the i/c might fit? scuse the ignorance but what will that do for my car?
really gratefull for the help,        

davy [/qb][/b]
IIRC the early ecopower (LPT) cars didn't have intercoolers fitted, you can verify that if you want. Fitting an i/c will ensure that you can run higher boost levels safely and is standard fit on all full pressure turbos. One more thing is your car a 2.0 or 2.3, as I just remembered that there was no FPT 2.0 after 1990, so if your car's a 2.0 the only route you can go to up the power is to get your existing ECU reprogrammed or swapped for a repgrammed one, Maptun, Abbott and Speedparts all do upgrade kits for 2.0 LPT's.

You have a new private message by the way.

Jase.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Being a 93 2.0 eco, it may not be trionic, as I think that was 1993 only and 2.3 FPT only , being rolled to other models in 1994.

If you have DI on your car, then the DI/APC may work (or it may not...) some seem to be my finiky.

Andrew

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, gratefull for all the advice. My car is a September 1993 so i am presuming it has the newer balancer shaft engine.Will engine number confirm this?
presuming it is, the general answer to my original question will be no the carly bits won't fit, just my luck!
Does anyone out there know if the springs off the carly will fit? If they do is it a worthwhile swap?
thanks to all

Davy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.