Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 (non-turbo) and on the very top of the engine head at the rear, their is a funny connector at the top with two small pipes attached to it? Does anyone know what this does. I have had a look at my EPC and the closest thing I can find is described as a "Positive crankcase ventilation valve" what the hell does this do? And on my car it seems to be very loose? does this matter?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The PCV valve is a one way valve that takes allows the fumes from the engine to go back into the inlet for safe combustion. The pipes shouldn't be too loose, if they are they are probably perishing. Time to replace them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know exactly what the pipes do on yours because I've only looked at mine which is a turbo.

What I can tell you is they are probably very important. The pipes shouldn't have holes in. That would be bad. However the little plastic plugs that hold them are very wobbly on mine and this doesn't seem to matter, not that I approve much! If you give them a shake with the engine running you shouldn't notice any change to the engine. (unless you rip them right out, then it'd stall. Probably wouldn't advise. )

I think it's the rubber seals that sit under the plastic plugs that shrink and let the plugs wobble. Haven't tried getting hold of any myself
but if they offend you I'm sure they can be replaced.

If I've written a load of rubbish hopefully someone will correct!

Regards,
Pete

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Having re-read the post I think you actually mean the plug that goes into the rocker cover? If so then yes these can get loose, if they're too loose the plug can fall out, won't cause much bother, but you vould get oil mist in the engine bay. The new seals are only a few quid from the dealers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Those are the ones I was talking about. There's a pipe from rocker cover to inlet which tends to get loose at the rocker end. This pipe is the one with the white plastic valve in.

I might replace my seal one day. It drives me to distraction every time I find myself under the bonnet which is all too often.

Pete

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks for that, thats the one! Every time I do stuff under the bonnet it always draws me to it, and I cant help but give it a wiggle and become annoyed at how loose it is. I will change it soon then, but no mad rush. Thanks alot

·
Registered
836 Posts
The plugs into the cam cover (for vent pipe attachment) were loose on my other half's c90016vi - I sealed the slight leakage from them with silicone instant gasket, when I replaced the leaky camcover gasket. I suppose if they could leak oil out, they could also leak air in....and upset the AMM
After doing the job, the idle is smoother and the fuel consumption is better
Don't underestimate the importance of all those fiddly little pipes!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
had really bad problems with the so called little valve, when i changed the rubber grommet in the crank case i lost the little white valve ( it's called a pcv valve ) so i just connected the hose from the inlet manifold to the plastic pipe without it. This then caused a build up of pressure in the crankcase and gave me a massive oil leak( i lost about 3 litres of oil in as many weeks ) out of the oil filler neck which resulted in the alternator getting soaked with oil causing the brushes to stop working , thus remove alternator( pain in the a**e ) and refurbish, all because of what i thought whas a silly little valve i know better now , the replacement grommet for the crankcase is about £3 from saab dealers
well worth changing it if it is loose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts