Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wierd electrical fault on my 1995 Aero auto - although the car drives normally, when I stop & turn the ignition off I have found that with the brake pedal depressed the engine continues to run & the headlights stay on! Also the instrumentation is 'live'.

Any clues as to the fault(s)?

Hope you can help

Steve

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
mine did exactly this...
some idiot (me ) had put the wrong bulb in the rear light cluster ..the ignition circuit was being fed through the brake light circuit so causing the wierd symptoms ..changing bulb cured it
I would investigate this first

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting cure & very dodgy circuit isolation if true - I had just changed the single filament tail light, but will recheck bulb.

However, fault has (for) now cleared, so would still appreciate any other insights so that I can try all options. I have also noted that with the fault the cruise & turbo was disabled - I had thought that these were coincidental faults. There was also intermittent instrument light failure, but haven't yet checked whether all are linked.

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
Definately the back light, I had the same thing when the bulb holder was slightly cracked and not holding the bulb properly.

The brake light works even when the ignition is off, the fault causes the brake light circuit to power the main lights, then if the lights are switched on they'll power everything on the main switched 12V circuit!

The cruise and turbo won't work because the main lights are powering the brake light circuit and the ECU thinks you're pressing the brake pedal.

I bet you keep the headlights on all the time?(same as me) otherwise you wouldn't get these symptoms.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts