Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience as to whether 245/45*16 tyres on a 9000 Aero will cause a problem with rubbing? ( change in speedo accuracy is negligible).
I currently run on 225/50*16 with no probs and as it will soon be time for at least a couple of new ones I wondered if I could cut wheelspin a little?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If they're standard Aero wheels, then yes you will have rubbing problems, especially on the inside edge of the fronts under lock.

However, you won't be able to fit that size to std Aero wheels, which are 6.5". I think most 245/45 in 16" need at least 7 if not 7.5" wheel width.

·
Registered
836 Posts
In your tyre calculations, you also need to be aware that the quoted size is a only a nominal figure. For each tyre size there is an ETRTO specification which gives the maximum permissable dimensions. How individual manufacturers make the tyres is up to them, within the limits of the spec.

I have measured Yokohama 205/55R16 tyres at 225mm wide, only just within the permitted maximum of 227mm, by comparison with Michelins, which were 20mm narrower for the same 'sidewall spec.'

You need to check with individual manufacturers to ensure their sizes really are what you might think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts