Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading some of the 9000 posts you lot seem very loyal to the 9000's.

I have recently bought a 1994 2.0SE t and relatively happy with it.

this is my first saab and didnt really know which type to buy.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING ? ARE 9000's BETTER ?

may have a look at some to compare.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
maybe it is because there are more 9000s out there than 900s?

I don't know - I have just acquired a 1989 9000i with leather interior - I only just taxed and insured it yesterday - so I'll have to go for a spin tonight ;-)

/john

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I'd say its because there are more 9000's changing hands. People are holding on to classic-shape 900's because of the scarcity of them and also the fact that the GM-900/9-3 is frankly, inferior (due to use of the 88 Cavalier/Vectra platform to increase production output and therefore profit margins).

The 9000 also appears to be the most popular choice for modification, hence you'll see a lot of posts about tuning etc. This is mainly because there are not many people out there who can tune 9000's, despite the cars potential. So there are a lot of us who need to share knowledge / experiences on tuning issues.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I really like the unique character of the classic shape 900's (i.e. pre GM/Vectra impact!), and would love one as a second car for the family. But stuck with a diesel Rover until I can persuade the wife of the virtues of a classic 900!

But I'm loyal to the 9000's for several reasons, not least because:

A) they are safest car on the road (for age/year) and,
B) my family of five all fit in fine, with holiday lugage and all, without the need even for a roof box (until at least the kids get bigger! )
C) According to the book figures 9000's give much better mpg than classic 900's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm sure 900's are fine cars but I prefer 9000's because:

They are a lot bigger, i have a family and need to get lots in the car.
You get a lot more toys with a 9000 for what seems to be similar money - better value.
I buy cheaper cars, you can get a v. nice high milage 9000 with A/C, 2.3 turbo, heated leather seats, computer etc etc for £4000.
The 9000 is a nicer drive, very solid etc etc, I do lots of miles so want a fast relaxing car.

Compared to anything by Ford (focus is a good try but too small), Vauxhaull (big Omega might be OK), all Rover (would not have any)...........I could go on, the SAABs are much better.
For a given price you get more car, toys and much more performance than BMW (yes I'd like a 540 or M5 ), Mercs and Jags (much too expensive)

Thats why I'm on my 3rd 9000

I'm know 900 owners who are very happy with theirs, and would definately be tempted by a 900 convertible or a 900 2.0 SE if i could afford one.
Good luck with yours

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
As ever it's all down to personal choice. There is nothing drastically wrong with the GM 900 cars (93-97) unless you have had Saab's before. Because of the Cavalier underpinings it just didn't have that unique Saab feel, and was like driving any other euro-box. They certainly don't have the character of the 'classic' 900 it replaced. This is why I chose a 9000 when I sold my classic 900. The 9-3 is supposed to be a dramatic improvemment, but, I have to say, having had an almost new 9-3SE convertible as a courtesy car while my Aero was in for service, I have to say I thought it pants. The 9-5 on the other hand is a worthy successor to the 9000, especially now with the new Aero, they have finally got around to fitting sports style seats which the 9000 Aero always had. Mind you they should have gone the whole hog and put them in the back as well and have heating as standard as in the 9000 Aero!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
The 9000 is bigger on the inside, but not on the outside (the early ones) - their exterior dimensions were actually slightly shorter but wider than the classic 900.

/john

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just sold m y 1997 900 (non turbo) main reason being it wasn't nearly as good as my previous 9000.
I've replaced it with a 9000 2.3 automatic and even after 5 days I'm back to realising why the 9000 has to be the best driver and value for money used car on the market.
Even my wife who drives a Fiesta likes the 9000 and that's praise indeed!

I've owned 20 cars and driven countless others in the last 19 years and the 9000 rates in the top two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.