Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote in a few days ago asking about what was the diffirence between the 2.0 LPT and 2.0 FTP.
I got a couple replies which said it's the ECU's not the turbo unit itself. When I called Abbotts yesterday (I dont know who I spoke to) he said it is the turbo unit thats diffirent, I'd have to use the f/b one and about itercoolers.
I'm not doubting for one minute anyone on this site,not at all!.But who's right??,I personally am a bit confuddled now,can someone shed any light on this,thanks.

Stu

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Well, I'm sure lots of people know better than me, but I think it lies along the following lines:

The turbo on the FPT is probably smaller (and therefore different) but will still be adequate for a chip upgrade, and potentially better, reason being is a smaller turbo runs up faster with the benefit of quicker pickup on acceleration. However, ultimate power output possibilities will be down.

Yes, I believe they are right about the intercooler, but never having had a 2.0lpt, can't be sure. Even so, there is obviously room for an intercooler because the CSE was fitted for a short while with the 2.0fpt (only one model year I think).

IIRC the 2.3 lpt is closer to the 2.3 fpt than the 2.0 lpt to the 2.0fpt, as the 2.3 lpt already has an intercooler.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 The turbo on the FPT is probably smaller  [/b]
Should that not be LPT?

Not sure if I am right in saying but does not the LPT run at base boost pressure which is controlled by the ECU and therefore can be upgraded. Not sure if the turbos are different models though - others will.
Mike

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Embarrassingly I can't remember for definite if there is any difference between the turbo on the FPT and LPT of the different model years. However the base boost, which is a mechanical adjustment, will be different.

There was a never a FPT 2.0CS produced, only LPTs. Thus it may well be that the turbo is different because they are different model years.

2.0 LPTs don't have the APC control solenoid but simply use a lowish boost that is governed purely by the setting of the wastegate actuator rod, not the ECU.

Up to 1996, they also don't have intercoolers (but 2.3LPTs did).

The ECUs are different, as they will either need to control the APC valve or not... the LPT ECUs will also have a lower overboost fuel cutoff limit than the FPT.

So, to convert a 2.0LPT to intercooler, depending up on year, you will need at least an ECU and EPC valve, and possibly an intercooler. The wastegate will also need adjusting. I don't think you'll need to replace the turbo itself.

So, to answer the original question, both are probably right to a certain degree
HTH

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The turbo on the FPT is probably smaller
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should that not be LPT?[/b]
Yup. I started the sentence one way & finished it differently - I put "bigger" before I edited it.

So I am really trying to say that the lpt turbo is smaller.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
There was a never a FPT 2.0CS produced, only LPTs. Thus it may well be that the turbo is different because they are different model years.[/b]
But there were. Only for the 1992 model year however - I do know this because a friend has one. And remember the CS Carlsson was a 2.0 with a 220bhp engine - i.e., FPT plus a bit!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Embarrassingly         I can't remember for definite if there is any difference between the turbo on the FPT and LPT of the different model years.[/qb][/b]
Later 2.0 FPTs used the same Garrett T25 turbo used on all 2.0 LPTs. On later cars (the 9-5 and perhaps the 9-3?) Saab did fit a smaller turbo to LPT engines to improve response. I believe you are correct, though, that there was never a Trionic 2.0 FPT anyway and that all Trionic 2.0 turbos were LPT.

[qb]2.0 LPTs don't have the APC control solenoid but simply use a lowish boost that is governed purely by the setting of the wastegate actuator rod, not the ECU.

Up to 1996, they also don't have intercoolers (but 2.3LPTs did).[/qb][/b]
That's sort of correct.
Pre-'96 2.0LPT did have a BPC valve, but no intercooler. '96-on 2.0LPT had no BPC valve but did have an intercooler. i.e. BPC valve and intercooler are mutually-exclusive on the 2.0LPT.

[qb]The ECUs are different, as they will either need to control the APC valve or not... the LPT ECUs will also have a lower overboost fuel cutoff limit than the FPT.[/qb][/b]
As far as I know, though, the electronic hardware is identical for both ECUs, so an LPT ECU can be upgraded to a FPT ECU simply by reprogramming it.

So to upgrade a 2.0LPT to FPT, you'll need an ECU upgrade and either a BPC valve or an intercooler. Which you need depends on year.

I'm assuming we're talking about a '93-on LPT. I believe there may have been a '92 2.0LPT, which would be different as it isn't Trionic.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb] QUOTE
There was a never a FPT 2.0CS produced, only LPTs. Thus it may well be that the turbo is different because they are different model years.[/b]
But there were. Only for the 1992 model year however - I do know this because a friend has one.[/qb][/b][/quote]Oops - you learn a bit more every day

·
Registered
623 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb] QUOTE
But there were. Only for the 1992 model year however - I do know this because a friend has one. And remember the CS Carlsson was a 2.0 with a 220bhp engine - i.e., FPT plus a bit! [/qb][/b][/quote]Here in Italy the 2.0 FPT (185hp) was offered as long as the CS was sold, until '98 I think. It was the right compromise between the "slow" 2.0 LPT and the very expensive to mantain 2.3 FPT, since here until a few years ago petrol cars over 2.0 and diesel cars over 2.5 used to pay way too much in taxes and insurances.ù
Even the Aero was offered with the 2.0 FPT, form '93 to '98 I think.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I knew I was courting disaster on this one when I put finger to keyboard. Only one apparent clanger tho- I really didn't realise about the 92CS 2.0FPT. Put it this way, insurers won't know about it either...

When I said change the ECU, I meant the programming, not necessarily the unit itself for one with different functionality

Still, it just goes to show, doesn't it...
no wonder you were confused, stu. At least everything is as clear as mud now

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]
I'm assuming we're talking about a '93-on LPT. I believe there may have been a '92 2.0LPT, which would be different as it isn't Trionic. [/qb]
Well thanks guy's,thats some response to that mind you what I should have said right at start (my fault ) it's a 92' K.
And what I thought was an apc soleniod (and thats what its called in a small b/w pic somewhere in this site) must be the b/p/v,theres 3 pipes go into it.
I'll get the model of turbo unit exactly,but really thanks for the info on this,youv'e all been great

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Saab1:
[qb]...it's a 92' K.
And what I thought was an apc soleniod (and thats what its called in a small b/w pic somewhere in this site) must be the b/p/v,theres 3 pipes go into it.
[/qb][/b]
Actually, I'm 99% certain this will be the apc solenoid, especially if it is mounted on the (uk) passenger side of the radiator, and has a 2 pin electrical connector as well.

Thus I reckon you've got a 92 LH/DI LPT, which can be upgraded to a FPT with the addition of an intercooler (I think Abbott still have some s/h ones for about £80), an upgrade of ECU software and probably an increase in base boost pressure.

I had one of these and it went like stink with remapped software and an intercooler

HTH

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep Mark....thats right (looking in the e/bay) its at the top of the rad on the right, and there are 2 pins in the block.
So a re-map of the ecu,intercooler,base boost increase. Now when you say b/boost inc is this liitle thing that takes place of the apc sol that abbotts sell for about £40?.
What kind of power inc can I expect,from the 150 ish that I have standard?.
Then again how will that this affect fuel cons when I start partying?.

Stu

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The base boost is governed by the spring tension on the actuator rod. Shortening the rod will increase the value, and vice versa.

What you're referrring to from Abbott is an MBC or Manual Boost Control valve. It takes the place of the APC solenoid. However, as they say, this does somewhat defeat the APC system.

The upgrade will give you about 190hp. More signficant, however, is the increase in torque, which you will really feel the most benefit from.

Fuel consumption is nomarlly unaffected under the same driving style, however if you make full use of the new performance, you could see about a 15% increase in fuel consumption.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.