Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Elkparts are selling grooved and blind drilled 308mm brake discs for the Viggen and 9-5 Aero, I was wondering if there is enough demand for Elkparts to get a few drilled to fit the 4 stud 9000 hub. Please add your name to the list (my discs are pretty new, so I'm not starting):-

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Don't you need the Viggen calipers? I don't think you can use the standard ones. Someone tell me I am wrong?

An option is to go to Godspeed, though they were a bit of a pain to deal with. Having said that, they now have the correst measurements and I paid £900 for 325mm grooved disks on alloy bells with 4 pot red Brembos. That includes VAT and you won't find a decent 4 pot kit at anywhere near that price.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is: www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk

You might want to read all the Godspeed-related threads in here, though, if you haven't done that already. Seems to be a bit difficult getting the right things, on time, from the man. That may be bearable if you're in the UK, but me being in Singapore, it was the prime reason for me not to go down that route.

Once the correct products arrive they seem to be good value for money.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezmondTutu:
[qb]Don't you need the Viggen calipers? I don't think you can use the standard ones. Someone tell me I am wrong?[/qb][/b]
I think the title of the post directs the question at people who already have the Abbott 308mm kit and are in need of replacement discs at a sensible price

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]
I think the title of the post directs the question at people who already have the Abbott 308mm kit and are in need of replacement discs at a sensible price [/qb][/quote]

Although, despite the relatively frequent recent discussions regarding where to find such discs, no one seems to be in need of any.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's a combination of disc dia and the width of the caliper that causes the problem with big brake kits, moreso the latter with the Aero wheel design. I don't think this kit will fit behind Aeros

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
But that is one amazing deal.

You will need 17"s (not Azevs) to fit them, but a red Brembo kit for £629? That has to be the bargain of the century. You'd pay £1700 from Brembo for almost the same thing. No hassle of dealing with Godspeed and a lot cheaper. You don't get 325mm disks, but I can't imagine it would make that much difference. You also get nice shiny, red calipers!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Just contacted godspeed and they tell me that I can't even have their standard 308mm £595 brakes kit upgrade as my 16" Super Aeros have too little clearance

I've had the car serviced and the brake fluid checked and topped up. Sadly the car's breaking doesn't improve.

Sold my 309GTi to my next door neighbour and bought the missus a bargain Seicento so I have no go-kart style motoring anymore.

The former motorsport technician at my garage used to have an 1996 aero and he tells me that the Ferodo or black diamond setup makes little difference even when using different discs of the same size.

He told me to get real and either try for a modded 308mm kit or go for 17" alloys and a bigger brake kit

My low cost upgrade dream bubble has been burst. The only good news is that I can still have my strut brace and suspension upgrade and I've seen some juicy HR sports springs going cheap in Germany along with those lovely konis.

Don't like the idea of the 17" alloys as they draw too much attention and I love them original super aero alloys.

Rats, double rats and triple rats.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
That Elkparts Brembo kit is stonking good value, and if I still had my 9000 Aero I would have already ordered a set.
But all this talk of weedy 4-pot big brake kits for the 9000, be it AP or Brembo.....I've just found this kit for the 9000 by Tar-Ox that has 10-pot calipers

10 pot brake kit

They do a slightly cheaper 6-pot kit for the 9000 as well.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by Aeroadster:
Godspeed they tell me that I can't even have their standard 308mm £595 brakes kit upgrade as my 16" Super Aeros have too little clearance.
>> Correct, there isn't enough distance between the disc face and the inside of the wheel to allow the caliper to be mounted in there.

I've had the car serviced and the brake fluid checked and topped up. Sadly the car's breaking doesn't improve.
>> As standard the 9000 brakes are less than confidence inspiring considering the performance on tap.

The former motorsport technician at my garage used to have an 1996 aero and he tells me that the Ferodo or black diamond setup makes little difference even when using different discs of the same size.
>> If you haven't tried the DS2500 Ferodo pad yet (or any other 'perfomance' pad) I'd give these a go, with the following caveats. They do tend to squeal slightly but not all the time on light appliactions at slow speeds. Also they do dust more than Saab OEM pads, so if you like clean wheels you'll be out cleaning once a week (If you aren't a concours fanatic forget about this aspect). On the upside they work as well from cold as when being beasted around a track, there is certainly no need to warm them up at all. Lastly the co-efficient of friction for the DS2500 is markedly higher than standard Saab pads and produced shorter stopping distances than the Mintex 1144 pads I had originally. Response to gentle pressure on the brake pedal was far better due to this higher friction.
I agree that different discs make little difference. I've had grooved discs etc. and they just seem to make more noise. IMHO it's the pad compound that matters most.

He told me to get real and either try for a modded 308mm kit or go for 17" alloys and a bigger brake kit.

>> Unless you are really hard on the brakes a 'big brake' upgrade is not necessary, but only you can tell how you drive. If you do use your car on a track then the larger calipers/pads will handle a greater amount of heat than the standard sized pads & calipers. The 'big brake' upgrade comes into it's own when braking from high speeds, not something I do often other than at a track.

Don't like the idea of the 17" alloys as they draw too much attention and I love them original super aero alloys.
>> The 17" size is quite normal on cars now unlike a few years back (When I bought my CD Carlsson, 16" tyres were costing me £180 each! Now a Focus etc. will run around on 17's from the factory and 18's aren't that unusual on prestige cars.)
Can't help but agree the Super Aeros are lovely .

Nick.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Aeroadster:
[qb]The former motorsport technician at my garage used to have an 1996 aero and he tells me that the Ferodo or black diamond setup makes little difference even when using different discs of the same size. [/qb][/b]
Just to reinforce cdcarlsson's comment ref DS2500s:

The "former" motorsport technician is talking rubbish.

I've used them on track days, as have others and they are much better than OEM .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.