Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leave the noisy dump valves to the boy (old boy) racers. If you want to preserve the Q-car element to Saab driving, get Abbott's recirculating dump valve - all of the performance but none of the noise.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I suppose as Saab drivers we could call ourselves "Gentleman Racers".

If I could afford the dump valve, I'd probably go for the black anodised one to "retain a more standard under bonnet look".

My Carlsson only comes out about once a week, so I can usually not resist putting my foot down. Overtook a BM 3 series this morning (perfectly legally I might add) - the driver was huffing and puffing away when I got past him!

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I thought the Hillclimb one was nearer 900bhp? One in the eye for ppl who say Rice rockets have better tuning potential than Saabies!

I remember reading an article where he had the problem whereby the turbo was "sucking" with so much force it ingetsted the air filter. LOL

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Gassy/Andy: Did you notice much of an improvement when the new Abbott Dump Valves were fitted (or was it one of several mods at the time)?
I guess it depends on how worn the old plastic original D-Valve was though.

750/900BHP... WOW!!
Does anyone know what main components of the 9-3 Hillclimb car engines (if any) are actually from standard cars - whether modified or otherwise?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The primary performance improvement I had from Abbots was primarily the dump valve, however they also changed the brass bleed valve I'd put on myself for one of their own anodised ones - but they fitted it in a more complex manner. Oh, and they put on a SS exhaust section instead of a catalyser.

I noticed a substantial improvement, much quicker response, more power all round, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, I'm pleased that the main reason I went to Abbott's was to get the handling upgrade - without that the increased power would have been more dangerous and far less useable.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Paul D/.

Not a kop out, but I would have said gassy's sentiments almost word for word, especially when it come to removing CAT, having it done very soon, as my 2.3T still too heavy until I get rolling up to mid rev's, feels like engine working to hard, otherwise there is no point in having that nice-looking and less restrictive rear pipe in place !

Andy.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Paul D,
Here is an extract from an article that appeared in the States about Eklund's Pikes Peak 9-3 Viggen, written after he'd come 2nd overall and 1st in class. The article is probably too long to post here and anyway there is the stuff about copyright so I've rearranged the text a little and this is just the stuff about the engine. If you want I can e-mail you the whole lot?

Tommy Karlsson, of Trollspeed, Trollhattan, and Eklund himself tuned the turbocharged 2.0 litre four-cylinder 16-valve dohc engine. They started with a stock block and head. The block has been reworked and now features Nikasil cylinder liners. In addition to being perfectly round and greatly reducing friction, the liners also allow an individual cylinder to be repaired if necessary. Omega supplied the pistons, and "really special" connecting rods were made in Sweden. An especially strong oil pan was fabricated out of 60mm aluminium for the dry sump-oiling system. Special baffles for the many hairpins and extended uphill runs at Pikes Peak were fitted to assure good oil scavenging. The pan also serves to support and strengthen the block.
Six of the ten head bolts go all the way through the head, block and oil pan to provide tremendous clamping force and make the three pieces act as a single unit. With the Garrett turbocharger feeding the engine an intercooled charge at 42.8lb(3.0 bar) of boost, things had better be strong. The engine puts out 750 bhp at 8000 rpm and 518 lb-ft of torque at 6500 rpm-at sea level using special Elf Racing fuel.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks Guys,
Must give Abbot a call sometime to discuss pros/cons of a bleed valve on an ECO Power, and order along with their Dump Valve. (If anyone has put a bleed valve on a 2Lt Eco Power I'd be interested in your feedback).

Double WOW!
So Saab did it with a standard 2Lt Block (plus all the mods, etc)

Aeropilot:
Please e-mail me the whole article, thanks: [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.