Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9-3 2.0T is in for it's 54k service fairly soon and amazingly I've managed to eek out my first set of pads all this way. Although they're not making any of the grumbling noises yet I'm planning on getting them replaced and wondered if this was a good time to consider alternatives to Saab standard parts?

I have no performance upgrades (yet), but do have a heavy right foot and do use the middle peddle pretty heavily.

I've not got any real complaints from current set but do notice a bit of fade from time to time. I do however like getting almost 60k from a set of brake pads and wouldn't want to come down to 20-30k replacement times.

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have just had to get a quote on a new set of pads as mine are staring to make a scaping noise when i corner or turn the wheel one way.I thought that there would be a sensor on the disc to warn if the pad is getting on to the rivet.Let me know how much you paid for yours.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I would have thought a worn pad would make a scraping noise while braking. If it happens while turning, check the front wheel bearings and that the driveshaft nuts are tight.
There is no brake pad sensor or warning light because the pads last so long in normal use that it should be apparent at each service whether there is enough pad left to last until the next.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mystic Meg tendancies BillJ??! Mentioned a feint noise from front when I dropped my car in for service & that'll be a new osf wheel bearing for me!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
If I could do that on demand, I'd give up my job and spend a few minutes each month trading on the stock exchange

Originally posted by jb:
[qb]Mentioned a feint noise from front when I dropped my car in for service & that'll be a new osf wheel bearing for me! [/qb][/b]
Not just a loose driveshaft nut, then? That can allow play in the bearing and make it noisy. Eventually it will wreck the bearing, but it might just need tightening. Preferably with a new nut (£4-odd from the dealer).

As coincidence would have it, I just picked up a wheel bearing from GSF for my 9000 Aero. Ttheir price is £68+VAT (but I got a bit off as I was buying quite a few quid's worth).

·
Registered
102 Posts
It seems to be when i turn full or so lock to the right it makes a god awful noise.The brakes feel nasty when i apply light pressure.
Think i will get a mortgage now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts