Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further to a problem I had a couple of weeks ago, when car became immobilised, traced it to faulty alarm unit (a good one, but dont ask me what it was). Anyway, after bypassing various units ( fuel pump etc) car now fine, with alarm sitting doing nothing.

Who can reccommend a good replacement Alarm/Immobilising combination system please ?

( If possible, can anyone please give me 2 alternatives, the Mutts Nuts System - the word "TOAD" has been mentioned, and a goods all-round alternative ( dont know how much dosh will be left after Xmas etc )

( that price to include a professional fitting, at a fair price - I really have no idea of costs involved)..

Thanks, Andy B.
1994 9000 FPT

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Andy, I fitted a Cobra 3193 system to my CSE auto. Seems OK and the unit itself only cost about £85 (not including fitting). I got it from Edworthy's who have branches around the country and can fit stuff for you.

From their website, it looks like fitting costs about £140!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Me, using Cobra on my CS too. Seems fine (Don't ask about model. But the one I have has no functionality of auto-closing windows, and remote-releasing boot. The later ones has, I know.) As well, you can face some remotes related problems if you buy Cobra (Not actually my case, but have heard of some.).

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I had to have a thatcham cat 1 immobiliser /alarm fitted for insurance purposes,,
I had fitted a toad Ai606 which is excellant with lots of nice features like remote boot opening ,auto lock on moving off etc
cost me £250 @ skidz of falkirk
btw the cobra alarm which the car came with was working fine apart from the usual battery /losing remotes etc so a good recomendation as it lasted 5 years (atleast) with no problem

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yep, forgot about the auto locking on driving off. The Cobra I fitted does that and it's most disconcerting. My dad wanted it enabled, but it's a programmable function so I can disable it if I need to. It doesn't control the boot lock, though. I've had problems with the older Cobra remotes, which aren't very robust mechanically, but the new ones seem to be a lot better on that score.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help so far ( keep it coming ).
Also, this thing about CAT 1 alarms and insurance. It is only Thatchams that make CAT 1, or do other makes (Toad, Cobra etc).

What does CAT 1 mean in relation to cheaper insurance ( and what does a CAT 1 do that others dont) ??

Thankyou for patience everyone...

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Thatcham, do not actually make car alarms...
Its a motor insurance research place, they test all cars and alarms and rate them all on behalf of the insurance companies...

My personal recommendation is for a clifford had one on my old car included remote start, which was very handy on cold mornings the 9-5 has cat1 as standard, if it didn't the first thing on it would've been a clifford.

Thatcham
Clifford

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thatcham is the test & research centre that checks all the various systems and tells the insurance companies which units pass their standards.
They must be tamper proof (if you look at the wiring they almost all use black wires for EVERYTHING so that wires can't easily be indentified and cut etc.

To be insurance acceptable they must always be fitted by a trained installer who will give you a 'certificate of fitting'

Cat 1 are combined alarms and immobilisers.
Cat 2 are immobilisers only.

'Cat 1 or 2' refers to the type of system, not a make or model;

CAT 2 (CATagory 2) is an immobiliser that automatically arms when the ignition is turned off/keys removed etc.
This has nothing to do with any alarms etc, just the immobiliser.

CAT 1 (Catagory 1) are alarm systems that will arm themselves automatically when the car is left.

Basically, the Thatcham approved units have to meet at least one of the above standards to be insurance approved.

You'll sometimes discover that a Cat 2 immobiliser can be upgraded to a full Cat 1 system etc by adding control boxes etc.

My experience....immobilizers are good, cheaper and simple.
Alarms cam be a pain in the ar5e, they always seem to drain the battery very quickly (dead in a few days) and i had problems with remotes etc.

Hope this helps a bit

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by Saabman:
[qb]Got to agree the Clifford systems are excellent if not slightly over priced,but the remote start is no good for us 9-3/9-5 boys who have a manual box    :eek: [/qb][/b]
I had a Clifford in several cars and found them to be excellent. However, my sis got one installed (on my recommendation!) in her 328 coupe and has had problems. Furthermore, a dealer said that they are not as reliable as they used to be. However, they do come with a lifetime warranty.

Personally, I would go for one with the usual door sensors and a glass tremor sensor only as it will not go off in the wind/when planes go overhead/when a spider crawls accorss that sensor. This is standard fit on my 90000 Aero

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.