Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, not only am I battling with an elusive leak in the boot area, I now have a chirping regular whistle noise when at idle.

I am making headway with the leak but am concerned about the noise - haven't had time to search for the noise as it appeared this morning on the way to work. Could it be something to do with the drive belt slipping? Although the noise does tend to go if I increase the revs. Noise actually sounds like a grasshopper! A Loud one to boot. Come to think of it I did hear it very quietly over the weekend when the weather was dry so can't be the wet??

Any ideas?

Cheers folks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The chirping noise could be one of the idler pulley bearings on the multi-rib belt packing up. There is one on the tensioner and another fixed to the block in front of the alternator. Best to check them before you are stranded. Release the tension on the belt and spin the pulleys by hand. Check that they turn freely with no roughness and that there is no rock if you try to tilt them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am back to thinking the chirping noise is brought on by the wet. The other day I had been through some hefty puddles so that could account for the chirp, but its stopped doing it now! Will let you know if it starts again. Thanks for the advice and will check pulleys. Back soon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.