Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm getting fed up with my T16S performance compared to my 9000Aero. Not much boost until 2500rpm then boost nicely into the red until 4000rpm and then tapers back. I'd like to improve the low rpm boost (different turbo?) and reduce the high rpm taper - what are the best options?

Car already has a full Abbott exhaust

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The TD04 is probably the smarter, and a lot cheaper, option. But I just thought I'd bring up this turbo: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=GRT

It's not much bigger than the stock T3, but it's ball-bearing and a newer design.

If my T3 goes out any time soon, and I have the money, I'm probably going to try to use the GT25R. Garrett makes (or at least did at one time) a GT25R that's supposed to be a direct replacement for the T3. But, we'll see how it all works out.

Also, the TD04 probably won't spool much below 2500 RPM. So maybe that's not the most idea option, even if it's a lot cheaper.

-Adrian W

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think the slow spool-up has more to do with the cams, ignition and fuelling system rather than the turbo itself. After all, the 9k models are all more responsive below 2500rpm.

I did change my inlet cams recently for some NA ones but found there was negligible difference in low end pick up.

I agree that the lack of urge below 2500 is somewhat frustrating...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Reading around a bit, it seems to be that the stock TE05 turbos have slightly better spool up characteristics than T3s. Might be worth looking out for a s/h one to try...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree that the lack of urge below 2500 is somewhat frustrating...  [/b]
i am running on my fourth transmission and believe that part of the reason that i blew two of the three was mashing down on the pedal at low rpm's... constantly. the other one seized after a chunk of the casing was broken off

i do not disagree with the fact that the C900 hasnt got much in the low rpm range... though the 'red series' APC, EPROM, injectors and other stuff certainly has helped in the upper end
and the upgrades to the fuel system and ignition have kept me happy with the previous problems with boost taper at the top of the rpm range.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bubbles - what were the TE05s fitted to?

Also what about the LPT turbo, I always remember a drive in /johns old LTP and that certainly seemed to move alright - maybe just /johns driving I'm assuming the LPT turbo will spool much faster but could be made to give 1.0bar at the top end?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian:
[qb]Thanks Bubbles - what were the TE05s fitted to?

Also what about the LPT turbo, I always remember a drive in /johns old LTP and that certainly seemed to move alright - maybe just /johns driving      I'm assuming the LPT turbo will spool much faster but could be made to give 1.0bar at the top end? [/qb][/b]
The later 900 T16S's and the LPT's.
The mitsi TE05 spools up quicker than the T3 but it also then tails off quicker at top end when compared to the T3
My old red T16S hit 1 Bar then pulled back to 0.8 and then just dropped after ~4000+ RPM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts