Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was probably going to waste my Christmas bonus on new suspension.
I'll probably want to lower it a bit and have adjustable dampers (so i can get the right balance for comfort and handling)

Any recommendations for good comfortable & reliable shocks and springs?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try Koni or spax adjustable. Abbott do the former inclusive of springs and someone like Demon Tweeks or ABP motorsport do the latter. Be careful about selection of the springs,if these have the wrong ratings your wheels will hit the arches!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've also been looking for suspension kits. My 9000 CSE has 150k miles on it now and everything has gone bouncy and loose.

The symtoms are:
1) Handles like a sumo wrestler on skates.
2) Wheels which just won't balance.
3) Always wears out the front left tyre before the front right one.
4) and to cap it all there's a scary loud knocking noise from the steering (my garage can't find the cause)

My plan to fix it all is to change all the dampers and bushes, and then get some 16" super aero alloys when I can find some.

If that doesn't work I'll look at suspension arms and steering rack next.

When looking for suspension kits I considered leda (about £460 from www.ledasuspension.co.uk) and Bilstein (£425 from www.larkspeed.com) but was persuaded by www.twostroke.co.uk to buy a pukka Saab handling kit. Apparently its a complete set of springs and dampers to the same spec as the Aero and comes with the front struts fully assembled with everything like top bearings and bolts. (I'm hoping the top bearings will fix the knock?)

Two stroke say they've got the last one in the UK for £500 (inc vat) but get this . . . Saab are ordering me one from Sweden for £423 (inc vat and delivery) !!! !

I'm expecting this kit to be better quality than the aftermarket alternatives with a better compromise between handling and comfort.
Also, as its a Saab factory kit it shouldn't affect my insurance.

Ooops this has become a bit of a speech hasn't it. Any comments????

Cheers
Gadgeteer

·
Registered
354 Posts
strictly speaking you should notify Insurers. You are not replacing like with like, but putting aero (ie harder) suspension on a cse. If you explain/ justify it and make clear no engine mods etc, they should hopefully leave premium as if an altered.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
JD is correct.

Insurers will even refuse to pay out if you have different tyres than standard, ie: different profile or even different speed rating!

Remember, Insurers are not your friends!

/john

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Totally agreed on the tyre speed rating impact on insurance. If it affects performance or safety, then technically Insurance companies should be advised. Or they could wiggle out of paying up..Aargh!

Can anyone comment on gadeteers question as to, 'how the performance of Saab Aero original suspension units compare to non-Saab 'after market' kits'?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would imagine that the Saab set up will be a reasonable compromise of handling and ride comfort whereas the aftermarket set ups tend to swing more towards greater handling improvements at the expense of ride comfort. I might be wrong but this seems to be the norm for other models.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
In fact, 'all' modifications to 'standard' specification SHOULD be advised to the insurance company, as the small print advises. Failure to do so gives them gounds to not pay up, if they wish to do so.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had such an experience, although their is always the first time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.