Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My 2.3T 9000 CSE is starting to wallow, definitely needs front shocks, but may as well get all 4 done (I am not a DIYer, so a garage job either way).

My local garage has quoted me a price of around £400 including VAT, Fitting and 4 x "standard" shocks.

Abbott Quote me £360 for a set of 4 Koni "Sports" shocks. Plus £70 fitting, plus VAT, Totalling around £500.

Probably worth the extra £100, as I have already had Abbotts lower car around 30MM and it runs on their uprated springs and polybushes.

Can I buy good stiff shocks cheaper elsewhere and get them fitted at my local Garage (or wherever anyone may recomend not too far from Dover).

(or would I have compatibility problems with the ABBOTT Springs - When I called Abbotts for a quote they said something about having to "Machine Turn " the shocks to fit or something) ??

I want good springs but not just chucked onto the car.

Help please !!!

Thankyou,
Andy.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Atomic Badger:
[qb]Abbott Quote me £360 for a set of 4 Koni "Sports" shocks. Plus £70 fitting, plus VAT, Totalling around £500.

Probably worth the extra £100, as I have already had Abbotts lower car around 30MM and it runs on their uprated springs and polybushes.

(or would I have compatibility problems with the ABBOTT Springs - When I called Abbotts for a quote they said something about having to "Machine Turn " the shocks to fit or something) ??
[/qb][/b]
Despite having quite a lot of Abbott stuff on my 9000, I tend to take what they say with a pinch of salt. Some of it is definately wrong (Mark B had an issue with their "larger" brake pots being not larger at all, I think).

I suspect Abbott fit standard Konis. It might be worth asking the importer/distributor about compatibility (can't remember who they are , I have known).

You should be able to get a set of Konis for less than £360 *including* the VAT (e.g. Elkparts page £356.40)

Having said that, Abbott's fitting price is pretty good. It cost me £120 (+VAT, I think) to have springs and shocks fitted by DCA

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Andy,
A few points to cover...
The Koni front shocks are inserted into the original struts which takes a little bit of modification of the original strut (this is probably what Abbott are refering to when they mention 'machine turning'), but is worth it overall. Camberly Auto Factors import Koni into the UK if I remember correctly. Abbott can be quite good/quick at their job, but also know how to charge/make excuses and aren't shy about it either. Abbotts have altered their spring specification three times (they tell me) and I now have thier latest incarnation fitted to my Aero along with Koni shocks and very little poly. I'm very happy now with the set-up, as opposed to the previous set-up which was harsh to the point where you felt uncomfortable driving at normal speeds down the average British 'B' road (ie: rough with potholes galore - well that's what they're like in this neck of the woods).
Bilstiens have a few admirers as well but I've no experience of them myself, also they are not adjustable which is the icing on the cake with the Konis - if your not quite happy you can tweak them a bit until they're just right. Overall though if the springs aren't right the dampers won't cure the problem, as I found out.
Nick.

PS. The original springs on my car which were so harsh were....Abbott!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I believe Abbott keep front struts already made up with Konis inserted. They also have a diamond cutting wheel for getting the rears off if necessary and new bolt in stock. So they can guarantee to do the job quickly. Your local garage may view it as a fiddly tedious and risky job, and so charge more.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I will remind Abbotts that their Konis are nearly £60 more than Elkpart after including the VAT and if they will knock a few quid off the Konis (and the fact that they may need to be "modified") I think I will get Abbott to fit for £70 plus VAT for peace of minds sake...

Being a real non-Tecchy, can someone tell me if the car can be lowered a fration more (than the 30mm at the moment) with minimum fuss at the same time that they put the new shocks on all round.

Would that be good or bad, bearing in mind that I still run on the standard 15" wheels and 205/... tyres?.

I do like a nice firm ride (ooer missus) and I do tend to DRIVE the car, not just pootle !!!

(and yes, I would love a better wheel/tyre combination, but finances prevent this at the moment - shocks fitted first and shiny new wheels another day/month/year...??)

Cheers,
Andy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.