Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a speedparts stage 2 fitted on my 96 9000 2.0ltp and it's now time to upgrade again
Unfortunatly I am undecided over the route to take I have however narrowed it down to the following two.(not many other choices)

1. Map Tun stage 3...265bhp - 370nm adding 3" downpipe, sports cat and remap.

2. Speedparts stage 4...265bhp - 393nm adding 3" downpipe race cat T28 turbo and remap.

Initially I had decided to go for speedparts but I am unsure about the increase in noise (if any) over a sports cat and would it pass the MOT on co2 levels?
Also the T28 turbo, having the lpt at present I can honestly say that I don't notice turbo lag with the stage 2, as I understand it the T28 is bigger and would therefore increase lag

Price wise the stage 4 will cost approx. £300 more than the stage 3.

Obviously I am looking for the best

What are your views guys??

Steve

·
Registered
563 Posts
If lag is an issue go for the Maptun stage kit.
A T28 will have considerably more lag than the T25 you have now.

Recently I've changed my T25 for a TD04, which is somewhere between a T25 and a T28 when it comes to lag. On the highway the increased lag isn't noticable becuase you're in the higher revs. The only thing you feel is that the car keeps pulling, even past 4500 rpm.

When accelerating out of slow 90 degree corners, I used to spin the inside wheel very often. With the TD04 the car doesn't do that anymore, it starts spinning after the corner when I've gained some more speed.

Both the T25 and the T28 have their (dis)advantages. If you're pleased with the way the power builds up like the way it does now, opt for Maptun. If you'd like to have some more power in the high revs for overtaking on the highway, opt for the Speedparts stage 4.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just as Maarten put it. If you are looking for outright speed, the bigger turbo is the way to go. For excellent speed and slightly better drivability, i.e. quicker throttle response and a bit less turbo lag, stick with the stock turbo size. I did ride in Maarten's car and my impression is not entirely accurate being from the passenger seat, but lag is not as bad as I had anticipated it when he was telling me of his plans. I do have a feeling though, that if I drove his and my car back to back, I would like the more immediate response the smaller turbo gives for a street driven car. The bigger turbo is more powerful though, and much better for track work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys, I think I will opt for the Map Tun option for now and leave the bigger turbo for my next Saab.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts