Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am going to change the oil on my car but would like some advice which stuff to go for.

I have read that some engines will leak if switched from semi-synthetic to fully synthetic oil but I'm not sure which type my car has got in it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My car is a 93 CSE 2.0

Thanks
Gav

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Is your car turbocharged?

If so the general advice is "full synthetic, 0W-40, 5W-40, 0W-30 or 5W-30"

The obvious choices are:

Mobil 1 (0W-40)
Castrol RS (0W-40)
Shell Helix Ultra (5W-40)
Esso Ultron (5W-40)
or Saab's own (branded) products.

I believe that Mobil 1 can be found cheaply at Costco, and Castrol RS is available from Castrol Classic Oils at reasonable discounts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I always buy 10 or 20 litres of fully synthetic when I go to France - it's about half the UK price in the hypermarkets over there - just add it to your duty-free beer/wine shopping. Oh, and my car doesn't leak the stuff either (oil, I mean, not booze).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hello All,

Have just found out that halfords fully syn 5w-40 is actually just "Comma" which is part of the Esso brand but the poor cousin of Ultron. Oh well it will just have to be "swapping" oil until I put good oil in on the next service.

HTH Haggag01

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've always used Mobil 1. My last Saab got to 250K+ miles before I scrapped it (Not due to engine wear!)

Mind you - I think that changing the oil every 3000 miles may be more effective than the choice between semi and fully synthetic!

·
Registered
865 Posts
i have just done an oil change and i must retract my posting about getting leaks when changing from semi to full.the leak was from sump plug washer,replaced and no more leak.as for halfords synth. oil,i have used it for last two oil changes and it was still in good nick when drained,but it is getting pricey at 30 quid.the prob.with mobil is the 4lt can.plus the one ltr.can........... rip off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.