Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've cooked my DS2500 pads, they have not recovered from Hethel last month, and when I took the wheels off, the edges of the pads while still about 1/3 left, is a fine powder/ash on the edges which can be easily scraped away with a screwdriver blade

So, the next decision is what to replace them with:-

DS2500 or DS3000

Has anyone tried them both and can they define the differences.

Andrew
PS, the DS2500's have been in since May and did get quite hot at Anglesey in the rain, but I didn't think I got them so hot at Hethel as they never spelt like burning of smoked....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Scaero

A friend of mine, who worked for Trent at the time they were testing both of these Ferodo pads, tells me that the DS3000 do work a lot better than the DS2500. The downside being that these pads wear the discs out faster and deposit a lot of very hot cast iron dust on your rims that require daily cleaning to avoid rusty rims. Hence Trent decided to go with the DS2500 for every day convenience.

If you want the performance and are happy to replace discs/ clean your rims regularly then these could be the way to go.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

"You should begin to smell pads at the 5th to 7th stop and the smell should diminish before the last stop. A powdery gray area will become visible on the edge of the pad (actually the edge of the friction material in contact with the disc - not the backing plate) where the paint and resins of the pad are burning off. When the gray area on the edges of the pads are about 1/8" deep, the pad is bedded."

The ASh could just mean the pad is now properly bedded. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are defo bedded in and back out again.

It is real ash, which just falls away with a finger nail. I've already shortened the pads by 0.25 already. I stopped before I had nothing left.

I rang the prefered suppier of DS pads, and once again was astounded by their absolute excellent service.

They not only did they ask for which sort of use I was going to place on them, but spoke about noise, dust, effectiveness, length of life, cost, the damaging effects to alloys etc for those and other models (mainly DS3000 as that was my other interest).

New DS2500's shold arrive in the post tomorrow.

Why can't all companies perform like this??

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts