Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've started hearing a more pronounced whistling noise when boosting.. so I had the exhaust checked.. my down-pipe has fractured.. and so it's time to buy another exhaust for the 9000.

So I'm on the look out for a 3'' downpipe, race catalyst, and 3'' cat back system for it.

MapTun are releasing a whole new set of exhausts and don't have any details yet.
JT offer a a full system for a very reasonable 400 euro excluding CAT through Speedparts/ElkParts.
Abbott's system is just silly money.. but it's stainless steel not aluminum. (the down-pipe is nearly the same price as the whole JT system)

Are there any others I should be considering?.. Any experiences with the ones I've listed ?

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Given the intent and purpose of this car, I think I would go for mild steel rather than stainless, the pipe resonances of which can make the thing a bit rorty for a luxobarge including child seat...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I agree with Eric. The Abbott system is good if you really want to hear it. Extremely expensive, though. It is the full JT system that I have on my Aero and it is fairly unobtrusive although heard from outside, it was making a very nice sound at full-throttle along the pit-straight at Goodwood. This is aluminised steel, so should last a little bit longer than a normal mild steel system. The cat is stainless steel. The price is excellent.

It will be interesting to see what Maptun come up with in the near future.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Oh, one thing about the JT system, if you want to mix and match bits from other systems, is that it uses sleeve joints (is that the correct term?) rather than the bolt-together joints of some other systems. Abbott use the bolt-together stuff and I think it is compatible with the original system.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Abbott use the bolt-together stuff and I think it is compatible with the original system. [/qb][/b]
Yup, completely interchangeable in all 4 sections.
And it only sounds rorty if you have the straight cat bypass pipe.

(I can see I am going to have to bring both to the SSc meet for a compare and contrast
)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb](I can see I am going to have to bring both to the SSc meet for a compare and contrast    :rolleyes:   ) [/qb][/b]
Yep. You lie under Bubbles in the rain while we have a pint. Sounds like a plan.

We will shout words of encouragement, naturally.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mark,

So I was correct during our discussion the other night. I'm glad we figured out your problem.

Have fun!

Eric Burr

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a quote from maptun..through their local distributor..

For a complete 3'' system including racecat.. euro 1650..

What does anyone think of that price?

It's around about £1100...

I haven't been told if its stainless steel or whatever..

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark_A:
[qb]It's around about £1100...[/qb][/b]
Is that their new system? My full JT 3" system (admittedly with sport cat, not race cat) cost just under £500 if I remember correctly, including shipping from Maptun (actually, it was shipped from Speedparts). I don't remember paying VAT on it, though, but it would still have been a lot less than £1100.

At that price, I would expect it to be stainless.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
At that price i would expect it to be gold plated !!!!
Quite honestly the pieces that will make the difference is the curvy downpipe and the sport/race cat the bit after that I really do not think it will make that much difference to the performance
so I would buy the downpipe/ sports race cat from elksport and tack on a ss cat back system from a "we will make it while you wait guys" of which there are several and can tailor the sound to what you want ..

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
My full JT 3" system ... cost just under £500 if I remember correctly, including shipping from Maptun (actually, it was shipped from Speedparts). I don't remember paying VAT on it, though,  [/b]
Unless you supplied a valid GB VAT number, BillJ, then you would already have been charged VAT at the Swedish rate of 25%

·
Registered
563 Posts
A few weeks ago I asked the dutch MapTun distributor for some information about a 3" JT exhaust for a NG900T.
Today I received a quote:

875 euro for 3" downpipe plus sportcat

1675 euro for complete 3" exhaust

Then looked at the Elkparts website, added the costs of shipping and made my mind up

Now I'm just waiting for a month without financial setback

·
Registered
563 Posts
Here's the info from the Elkparts website for exactly the same items:

725 euro for 3" downpipe plus sportcat

1060 euro for complete 3" exhaust

Prices from both companies include VAT and shipping.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not wishing to blow speedparts/elkparts trumpet.. but i've just this minute placed my order...

Full JT 3'' system for Saab 9000 CD 2.3 Turbo, including downpipe through to tailpipe and and a JR performance airfilter, excluding cat, shipped to the Netherlands and including VAT : £ 378.

?573 Euro. That's a bargain! Done.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yep, that's the one on my shopping list. I'm watching this one with particular interest, although it will be a while until I get around to the exhaust.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The info on Elkparts shows an adapter with a flange, which presumably fits the standard system. I didn't get a flange with my 9000 system, but maybe that's because I bought the full kit and didn't need it. I did get a cat bypass pipe, though.

I imagine that if you just buy the downpipe, you'll probably get the adapter. If not, I'm sure it would be easy to have one made as it's quite a simple thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts