Diesel (ltr)

Price Used:
around £3,700 to £9,700
Dimensions:
4.62m x 1.76m inc mirrors

Saab 9000CS 9000CD

Owners Verdict

Good Room in rear
Poor Steering, stability at speed, brakes, overall performance, seat belt comfort, ease of driving, internal storage space, ride quality on corners, noise, styling, servicing costs
Very Poor Ease of parking, rear view, cost of replacement parts

Troublespots
Recent Cylinder head/head gasket, exhaust or emission control system, battery, dashboard switches/ control stalks, washers/wipers, clutch, gears/clutch
Older Battery, engine electrics, lights, stereo system, air conditioning, clutch, gearbox or differential

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Recent Cylinder head/head gasket, exhaust or emission control system, battery, dashboard switches/ control stalks, washers/wipers, clutch, gears/clutch
Older Battery, engine electrics, lights, stereo system, air conditioning, clutch, gearbox or differential  [/b]
Er, the above could be true for almost any car. I'm sure most 9000 owners would note the TCS and Chain replacements as being points for the highest consideration.

Don't think that write up would get most neutrals rushing to find a 9000.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I can't be alone in noticing WHICH surveys are often on only nodding terms with reality.

I do like the idea of prices starting at £3,700: have they been talking to the SOC? (Imagine the telephone call to SOC HQ: "1985 9000? Mine's worth about 4 grand" ).

So the only good thing about what my wife refers to as "the best car ever made" ( pace 5th Gear supercar special trailer "So the 9000 will be on there") is the boot .But at least they say it's trouble free (apart from the engine, electrics, air con, interior, gearbox...) And unlike their 9-5 findings it isn't prone to rust

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am not sure which 9000s they have been driving, but it certainly doesnt seem to match up to most of our experiences.

Many of the characteristics they claim to be poor such as "overall performance, stability at speed, ease of driving, noise" just make no sense to me.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Troublespots
Older Battery, engine electrics, lights, stereo system, air conditioning, clutch, gearbox or differential
Oh,let's be real about this how many cars of this spec and age will not have the possibility of problems with the above?

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 9000CD's great: space, comfort, quiet, the best front seats I know. If I had to buy her for road handling, especially cornering and high speed stability; well that's another story!! Would do better in my wife's Toyota Ipsum/Picnic.

But I love the good sense, quirkiness and fine build quality, and have not yet seen why I should replace her with another yet.

Have a great weekend

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Good Room in rear[/b]
Bed-swallowing room, to be more explicit.
Poor Steering, stability at speed,[/b]
Yeah, the control arm bushes. No problem and pretty cheap for us in the know, but I can see their point as far as the average 9000 owner is concerned.
brakes, overall performance, seat belt comfort, ease of driving,[/b]
All depends on which 9000 you have driven. They're all very different. My Aero can't be said to lack "overall performance", and neither could my 2.3 CDT. They aren't terribly easy to drive, though. My CSE 2.0LPT, however, has a light clutch and accelerator, great gearing for town and drives like a "girlie" car (hence her nickname: "CiSsiE"). For ease of driving, she gets 9/10. Her brakes are so sharp that they sometimes have me thinking I have braked too late and hit something, when she stops so suddenly while manoeuvring. My experience with 9000 brakes has been variable though, so I'll concede them that one.

Perhaps they didn't have the seatbelt height adjusted correctly?
internal storage space, ride quality on corners, noise, styling, servicing costs[/b]
Can't argue on the internal storage space, which is pretty [expletive deleted] without a passenger airbag, and with the passenger airbag you lose the glove compartment. Totally pants!
Ride quality again comes down to the individual model. Cissie is excellent on that score, my CSE auto has the sports suspension option and I can see the compromised ride quality on that, as with the Aero (when it was standard). The CD had the smoothest, quietest ride of any car I ever owned, but the handling was a bit suspect.
Noise? What noise? I had to add a JT 3" turbo-back exhaust to my Aero to make it very slightly noisy. If you want to know what a noisy car sounds like, test-drive my Dad's Nissan Primera auto (in fact drive it and buy it - it's up for sale since I gave him permanent use of the CSE auto) - the term that comes to mind is "raucous". Even with the JT exhaust, practically open intake, polyurethane bushes and Abbott suspension, my Dad thought my Aero was quiet. When I suggested finding him a 9000, he asked "will it be as quiet as yours?"!!!

Very Poor Ease of parking, rear view, cost of replacement parts[/b]
Well, I have to largely agree there. Someone my height has a helluva job reversing a 9000 (I fitted a reversing aid to my Dad's). The Aero seats are especially hard to see past. Replacement parts are indeed expensive from Saab, which is where most people would source them, so I can't argue with that.

I agree with Jason that the rest of the comments are extremely generic.

I'd love to be able to say it was mostly rubbish, but I can only say that a large part of it is rubbish, as far as the average 9000 owner is concerned. As far as the 9000 enthusiast is concerned, most of it doesn't apply at all.

Oh, and yes, the batteries do seem to be [expletive deleted]. My first three 9000s all needed a new battery shortly after I bought them (well, the Aero battery lasted 6 months before it cr4pped out).

And I paid £1700 for Cissie (she's a '95). So she needs a bit of loving care, but she's Saab dealer serviced from new.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Poor Steering, stability at speed,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, the control arm bushes. No problem and pretty cheap for us in the know, but I can see their point as far as the average 9000 owner is concerned.[/b]
Yeah, my Carly had great steering for the first 2 - 3 months after getting the bushes done, but deteriorated. Both the hatches I owned, seemed to camber steer much more than the CD, I could swear that they pulled to the left more than to the right but the tracking machines always showed the geometry to be true.

I admit that the C900 is a better drivers car but I can't afford a decent example nor can I afford an average one in need of TLC. So I'm sticking with my 9k for a while yet

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Bill, go and wash you mouth out for even daring to think about suggesting that every car SAAB ever made is not absolutely perfect . I would spend longer on this reply but I have a coolant problem to track down and engine mounts to sort out and it's getting late .

"A SAAB will last for ever, just as long as you replace every part along the way"

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It does, of course, depend on your idea of perfection. All 9000s are perfect in my view. Their quirks are part of their charm and only help to make them more perfect

And shouldn't I be washing my keyboard out instead? It could do with a good rinse to get rid of all the crumbs...

Jason, did the new bushes really only last a few months? Perhaps I should be recommending them as a regular service item!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bill... I just had to replace the orignal saab bettery on my P reg 9000 and before I got that my H reg (which I had until Feb this year) was on its original battery until about 3 weeks before it got written off - so from my experience Saab batteries seem to be quite good.

As for bushes - My P reg with 85K on the clock made creaking and clunking noises when I was manoevering .. I had the bushes replace and now at 97K the noises are coming back.. so yes I'd count the bushes as a service item.

As for the rest of the trouble spots I really have to agree with everyone else... old cars will tend to give you more problems.

Steve

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I think the batteries suffer from sitting on dealers' forecourts, as my first three 9000s did before I bought them. Of the other two (the CSEs), one was bought privately and had been in occasional use, so it's probably OK (although I only use it rarely at the moment, so it could still die of boredom), while the other was sitting on a dealer's forecourt with a brand new battery in it, so I hope not to see any problems with that one either.

Just as well the bushes are cheap and not too hard to replace.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I won't comment about the negatives, except to list 'style' as poor is pathetic. Style is in the eye of the beholder!

But what a pathetic list of good points: viz:
>>Good: Room in rear

What about, ROOM everywhere else. e.g. in front & boot space, plus:
SAFETY (Best in class - 30% safer than nearest rival at that time, i.e. V*lv*!!!) How did they miss that out???

Plus, PERFORMANCE, especially on 225BHP editions,
Plus: Tunability
Plus: Dirt cheap second hand buys gives LOADs of car for not much bucks.
Plus: Longlevity of body work

Plus: I find my '98 2L Eco rock stead above 100mph (autobahn of course!) - which must be normal if the bushes aren't warn too much.

Plus: Build quality and luxery (e.g. leather + walnut at no extra cost on high depreciation second hand vehicles).
Plus: Quite, comfortable long distance cruser.
Plus: Long engine life

And all they can say is good room in the rear. Can somebody give them a kick in the rear??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts