Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Which Bit of the Stereo has the Security Code?

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  ukjmr 
#1 ·
Afternoon folks,

My '07 vintage multi CD player seems to be jammed. I know if I were to find a new one it'd need a palaver of untethering and retethering the unit. I wondered though if I were to take the face unit off mine and attached it to the main box of another whether it'd work in my car. That is; is the bit which has the code the front panel or the main box with the mechanical bits in?

Any knowlede gratefully received!

Thanks

UKJMR

#4 ·
If you need to know what car you have put the vin into www.thesaabsite.com and you get the build spec.
If its the later non optical and facelift dash there was a inbuilt 6 cd changer available in the head unit itself.
As to how the security works it will something from the motherboard of the headunit which is paired to the car.
It is simply added with Tech2 to the cars configuration and units no longer have to be divorced from a donor before being added with a Tech2 to another car.

#8 ·
I guess what I'm asking is what the cheapest way to have a working CD player is given that hols are approaching and with two little ones audiobooks on CD could be a winning idea for long trips. I've extracted the old unit (although it's back in for the time being) and I can't determine what is jamming the loader.

Where is the unit motherboard? Is it with the controls and display or with the mechanical bits? That seems like an easy fix if I can buy a second-hand unit with a rough control panel and just replace it (the front panel) with mine.

#10 · (Edited)
Good excuse to upgrade to a pioneer,alpine kenwood unit..only issue then is you still have the crappy stock speakers.

pic has jogged memory,it was the rear changer they didn't bother keeping just the one in the dash..

#11 · (Edited)
Good excuse to upgrade to a pioneer,alpine kenwood unit..only issue then is you still have the crappy stock speakers.
I must have crap hearing because to me my stock speakers (2007 tid vert) sound superb with my Pioneer head unit.

I would always replace the head unit and try it before replacing speakers and amps because it seems to me that the head unit is the weak link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
^^^^^ that link over on SC is for the MY03-06 single cd player(MoST fibre optic)..

the speakers in the saab are cheap paper cone ones(like most marques) which were not the best,I changed mine out few years ago and it was like night and day..

#15 ·
I agree..
Especially replacing the piddling rear parcel speakers for DECENT (heavy) 6 x 9's..
Ultimatly I got rid of the large 12" sub i had because the 6 x 9's are very nearly as good on their own!!
I prefer the boot space to be honest..
The rear 6 x 9's have been wired as a sub, if that makes sense...

#16 ·
Thanks guys - so far so good. Given that I don't know much about TECH 2, what /should/ I know? Also, if I decide to go aftermarket what should I know? The aperture is much taller than what I consider a standard unit and it used to be that you had to get looks to convert the connections. Really appreciate the advice - thanks again.

#17 ·
For a start you don't require tech 2 either with straight replacement or after market upgrade on your perticular 9-3 ,
If going straight swapp. You will have to remove the centre air vents ( a pain I've been told but once out the torx screws are visable )
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1233909#post1233909
Photos from saabcentral shows how to remove .
If your going upgrade the units you want are double din size
You will require certain leads and a cage .
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/saab-double-din-car-stereo-fascia-panels.html
Dynamic sounds is your port of call
C2kev has done his own upgrade
So he should kniw more about the leads required .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.