Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding one of the previous posts, I have been looking at the accelerometers from G-Tech and Racing Technology.

Can anyone tell me which they consider to be the more accurate?
Is the G-Tech device worth the extra dosh?
Is the the AP-22 £40 better than the AC-22?

Anyone who has had experience of these devices, any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
680 Posts
Skiddins, I read an independant review which basically said the AC/AP-22 units are more advanced and accurate than the G-tech ones. I haven't time at the moment to look for that review but I'll try later.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would personally much rather have the AP-22 or AC-22, but the g-tech did everything I wanted of it at the time and at the time, I also hadn't heard of the other two. lol But as for all the "extra data" the AP and AC 22's can store, typically you're just running quickly from 0-60, 50-70, or down a quarter mile. Unless you're really keen on interpreting lots of data details, there isn't much use for that peticular extra feature. However the ability to do 50-70 runs etc could be real handy. The only problem is that on any kind of bumpy road the readings won't typically even be remotely accurate.
I wonder if anyone's developed an accellerometer that uses the car's speedometer sensors to calibrate itself as it moves? That way the calculational errors are not compounded as much. As it stands if the accellerometer makes an error early on, the error propagates through the entire run until it's reset. You can compare the speed it gives you with your actual speed to check, but it would be nice if it did it continuously and automatically.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Having had the AP-22 for a year now I can say confidently that the data logged is consistent if nothing else. Several runs (in one gear) close together over the same stretch of level road produce extreamly close times. Such as within 0.1 of a second over 7.5s and within 0.3s over 15 seconds. This sort of accuracy allows you to notice that standing still for a while waiting for the traffic to clear leads to enough heat soak to reduce calculated horsepower by 10hp on the next run.
As results from dyno's can vary from one run to the next by around one percent and not necessarily from heat soak either as the second run was the best of three(from my observations while my bike was tested a few years back), then I think this can be seen to be as accurate as neccessary. It can certainly differentiate between upgraded ECU's fitted to the same car in quick succession during one evening, showing that above 5500rpm one ECU held a 10hp advantage over the other to the red line...

Nick.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, having just returned from the USA after 3 weeks (Aero started first time, if a bit slowly) I have just ordered an AP-22, £193 in total.

I will keep you up to date with how I progress with it, friends stepdad also has a 5.7L Cobra replica which I'm looking forward to testing

Skiddins

1 - 7 of 7 Posts