Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice before buying a second hand 9000. Have three differett cars to chosse from, and cant decide.
1) 1991 9000 2.3 Turbo Aero 104000 miles, Loaded with all opt. incl. leather. Black. Aeros. Spoilers and skirts. Price: 90.000 (NOK)
2) 1995 9000 CDE 2.0 117.000 kilometeres. All opt. Leather. Price 125.000 (NOK)
3) 1998 9000 CS. 2.0 119.000 kilometers. Standard equipped. Price 149.000 (NOK).
My heart says "buy the 2.3 Turbo"
My Wife says "buy the -95 CDE"
My brain says "By the newest car"
My wallet allowes me to buy either of them.
Any hints on what to do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ant9000turbo: Yeah, I see your point. I smiled all the way testdriving that car. What worries me is the age, even t. it seems well kept. Is 104.000 miles (approx 170.000 km) too much for an engine/car like that? As you might have noticed, cars are sinking expensive here in Norway. Imagine yourself bying a 12 year old car, paying approx £9000 for it. Still, the car "spoke" to me. If you know what I meen?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wouldnt say that 100K miles is too much and looking at your list it is actually the one with the least milage.. I think as long as it has history you should be OK, but others will be able to help with what to check etc at that milage..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Telebender,
100k miles aren't that much, I know on this and in other boards many pepole with 140k and more miles cars without big problems. But Saabs need religious maintenance, and they need it more when they are old. Consider 1000-1500 euros per year on maintenace and repairs.
How many kilometres do you plan to do per year? if more than 15-20k, consider to get one of the newer ones.

Cheers,

and welcome on Saabscene.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I went from a 190k mile 1988 900i 4 door to a 1993 2l LPT CDE with 138k miles 18 months ago. I wanted a CSE but wife and child liked the first CDE they sat in so I appreciate your problem.

It took a while to get used to the extra width of the car. Leather seats are nice and comfy (and easy to keep clean) and driving position is good although rev counter is part hidden from view by the steering wheel. Still would prefer CSE due to folding back seat since CDE can only do this if the backrest is unbolted - not very convenient. Maybe the next car. The 9000 uses about 10% less petrol than the 900i yet is heavier and accelerates a lot faster. Boot is even larger than 900i. It is a nice car to be in. Tows a caravan well also if you are into towing.

Things I have had to do so problems to check for
- timing chain(s) needs replacing if rattles.
- gearbox bearings if there is a whine (same problem as on 900i).
- heater matrix replacement if you can smell anti freeze in the car (bit of a sweet/burnt curry type smell). Check for anti freeze at the cabin air outlets in the front footwells.
- corrosion of metal coolant pipe going into the turbo at the bottom front of the engine - on mine had previously been replaced with a hose and was about to fail.
- clutch and slave cylinder replace whilst gearbox is out. Takes one to two days compared to hours for 900i.
- A few notes on this forum suggests brakes are not that good - mine are not as good as the 900i.
- I have done a lot of work on the brakes including new hoses (front had ballooned where they pass through the strut), discs and pads, rusted brake pipe, reconditioned rear calipers (old were clicking), replaced master cylinder/ABS unit with second hand although was not necessary.
- check central locking works - I had a faulty door open switch which prevented the doors staying locked.
- get the radio security code. Can be read by "radio shop" with correct software if you do not get it and Saab do not have the correct code.
- engine rubber mountings.
- oil leaks from gearbox selector shaft seal, oil dipstick tube flange seal.
- prone to stalling when slowing down if idle control valve is not kept clean.
- headlight wiper motor sticking. Had to clean armature.
- engine breather hose to air inlet needs replacing but Saab want £70.
- lots of other little things sorted - door switches, air con switch, fastened turbo wastegate arm, front suspension arm front bracket, etc.
- rust underneath around back. Not as well rustproofed as 900i.
- rolls a lot on bends so shock absorbers may need replacing.

A lot of these do not cost much to sort when doing the work yourself - but I have spent a lot of the last 12 months working on the car and spent maybe £1500 on bits plus some garage labour on the gearbox rebuild. The car had a Saab service history also but some of the workmanship did not look that good despite last £500 bill. If I had known, I would have not bought this car but paid more for a lower mileage one (would also not go looking for one with family - big mistake).

Good luck and do not be put off - they are good cars but can empty your wallet (just like the 900i).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stefano: I usually drive 20k km a year - so maybe it is wise to follow your advice on buying one of the newer ones.
Paul: Thanx for your list of check-outs. I'll test drive the 95 CDE tomorrow afternoon, and your list will come handy as I plan to spend some time under the hood (and under the car as well)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have a 2.3 turbo and love it. Plenty of zoom and easy to work on most parts. 2.0 seems to be a different animal with less power from a dead start. Don't hesitate with the turbo, as long as you keep the engine oil clean, you should not have any issues with the turbo.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
250 Posts
I sympathise with the cost of your potential purchase, and I think pure economics would sway my decision. I've just spent a year working in Denmark, where the cost of 2nd hand cars looks the same as in Norway. In DK the new list price includes 180% tax & 25% VAT, and this is passed down to a large extent in 2nd hand prices. I understand "afgift" is a dirty word in Scandinavia!

A friend told me that with prices like these, you almost need to take out a 2nd mortgage, in which case his advice re. cars was: buy as new as possible, "In for a penny, in for a pound" as we say. Hopefully the ongoing maintenance bills will be lower. So I would go for the '98 9000CS (and upgrade it later, no further remortgage required!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, thanx for all the inputs. Still don't know what to do, though. I'm off for a week in Shetland tomorrow - and i'll try to make up my mind during that week. Anyway, this will be the last holiday my old -92 900i do the service as main transportation.
Cheers...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.