Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i am new to the site but joined because i fully intend to buy a 5 door 9000 Turbo as a second car in the VERY near future.
The problem i have is deciding which way to go.
Initially i had my heart set on finding a late model 2.3LPT preferably with auto box. I quite liked the idea of the extra 20bhp over the 2.0LPT.
After reading plenty on this site it is now apparent that around £500 with ECU upgrade will give the 2.0 some serious go.
I have found the following 2 cars and really cannot decide which way to go.
97 P reg 2.0 AUTO LPT Anniversary with 135,000 miles and History for around £1400.

OR

A 96 Aero manual with 145,000 on the clock and good SSH. It has had the head gasket replaced some time ago so hopefully that should not be a problem to look out for. It will cost me around £2500 to buy.
I want a quick car but ideally i want as little trouble as possible.
I am a little worried about the mileage on these and how reliable they are liable to be.
Any views, advice on what to watch out for and check over or indeed knowledge of suitable cars for sale would be very much appreciated.
Mechanically i am very competent so would be doing maintenance repairs myself.

Thanks in advance Darryl

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi Darryl,

Welcome to Saabscene.

As you might guess, it's horses for courses! Both have their dis/advantages, but a good aero is a good driver's car, whilst the LPT auto is a limo! I'd plump for the aero. Having owned a 9000 CSE FBT for 6 and a half years myself, I had the best of both worlds. I am sure you will not be disappointed, whichever you choose.

Mileages should not be an issue, so long as there is a FSH - essential to ensure against abuse on turbos.

Check out the buyers' guides on this and other related sites. They are a mind of information for the uninitiated.

I've found that DIY on Saabs is not so difficult or complicated as you might think. There is always helpful advise available on these forums, as no doubt you will discover.

HTH

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hiya!

In the household, we have my 96 9000 CDE 2.0 LPT Manual (152,000k), and my Father runs his 97 9000 Aero Manual (68,000k). For me, I'd rather have the Aero anyday!

Go on, treat yourself!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Darryl,
Welcome to the growing band .
Either car could give no trouble or loads, it's pot luck I'm afraid as with any car. If you've been checking through this site you'll see the types of things that are common. In my experience the cars are pretty reliable from the 'starting up and getting you where you want to go' stakes, however with 100k+ miles on the clock it's common sense that things will need replacing to keep the car fresh. The way I see it is that the depreciation is now over and done with, but the money you save in that department has to go on keeping the car up to scratch if it isn't to go downhill rapidly.
As long as you are happy with the manual gearbox go with the Aero for the extra performance allied to a better suspension able to cope with higher speed cornering and forget about the modified ECU with the extra insurance implications (like almost double the premium in many cases!). If the auto was what you were 'really after' go for the LPT and have a nice wedge to get it up to the standard it should be at. Then drive it in a (slightly )more sedate manner.
Hope this helps.
Nick.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is vitally important that you buy the Aero because it is very very fast. If an automatic gearchange is desirable, you might want to consider hiring a butler to change gear for you (trust me, it will be worth it for the sheer pant-filling acceleration).

But seriously, test drive them and let your guts decide which suits you most, in terms of running costs I don't think there will be much in it as long as both have reasoneable service records.

At that mileage the Aero may well have already had some of the major bits done (DI cartridge, timing chains, head gasket, even gearbox) but it is worth checking.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you can't get hold of the Aero I'd sincerely recommend a late 2.3 FPT Anniversary which I believe has the B234R engine of the aero and also has the same suspension setup.

Check before you buy though. The VIN plate checker on www.saab9000.com will help you identify the engine type.

19mm roll bars instead of 18mm will also be another clue.

You don't get the lovely electric powered memory seats, but you do get loads of wood veneer and some different but lovely seats.

Change or upgrade the rear anti roll bar though. It'll make a difference to the understeer and handling.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Darryl,

You say there is SOME History with the Autobox option. Check out the prices of a replacement or reconditioned Autobox that may be required in the not to distant future. nothing is particularly cheap for these cars, but to strip-out,recondition and replace thwese boxes doesnt leave much change from Two Grand !! This may help you decide

Cheers,
Andy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Which ever you decide to go for, make sure you do a thorough inspection and test drive or you could end up spending all your spare time and cash on a refurbishment project. This was my experience. 3 years ago, bought a nice looking, tidy 2.0 LTP CDE 1993 with 138k miles from a Saab dealer as a part exchange. Within the 2 years we had it (now have a 9-5) about £2k was spent on parts. Inc gearbox rebuild (output shaft bearings worn, gave a whine noise), timing chain, heater matrix, a lot on the brakes and I was still never happy with them, some underneath corrosion (did not do anything with this), engine mountings, suspension mountings, etc. Nice comfy car, rolled a lot on bends, reasonable fuel economy, size/width got some getting used to after a 1988 900i but the poor brakes always left me feeling uneasy and I was glad to get rid of it. Now if I had spent more time looking around before buying, my experience could have been better.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
May I add my welcome, and what a nice dilema to be in!!

I am a little worried about the mileage on these and how reliable they are liable to be.[/b]
I think the decision is quite easy though...

Obviously, also depends on how well serviced and looked after each one is.. but all things being equal..:

If you want performance, go for the Aero.
If you want reliability (as suggested by above quote), go for the 2Ltr LPT (same block as 2.3Lt, different bore), with Auto.

The milage is nothing to worry about on either car, if they have been looked after.

My (98 registered) 2L Eco Auto Anniversary runs sweeter now (with good servicing and fresh gearbox oil/filter) than ever, with 140k miles clocked up.

I plan to re-torque the head (as recommended on a recent thread) in a week or so. Whilst there is no problem, it should ensure gasket lasts a few more years without problem.

HTH',s
Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
I bought the Aero this lunch time and drove it 200 miles back home ( fast arent they )
It is Scarabe green, done 146,000 miles. The head gasket was replaced a while ago and the timing chain done at the same time. It seems to be as sweet as a nut with no silly noises.
It came with 12 months test on it and 6 months tax. It has the super aero deep dish alloys and is well shod. Other than that it is completely standard and has obviously been very well cared for.
3 previous owners and a a very comprehensive main dealer and then saab independent service history. It boosts well and is VERY fit.
I got it for £2200 does that sound about right.
Anyway the weather was terrible driving home so i had to be carefull. Waiting for some dry roads.

Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Congratulations, the price sounds good.
Have a look through the history to see if the heater matrix, engine/gearbox mounts and suspension bushes (Front and rear of the front lower wishbone plus anti-roll bar bushes front and rear of the car) have been done. If they have then great, if not consider the bushes as an investment to improve the feel of the car.
Have fun.
Nick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.