Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Help!
My 1989 Carlsson 2.0 has stopped running completely now after suddenly playing up.
It started spluttering occasionally and losing power, but would then settle down again for a bit before spluttering again.
Once back in my drive way I started to look under the bonnet to see if there was anything obvious that was loose.
Only found a slightly leaky radiator hose - that's not it!!!
Took a look at SaabScene and found the topic on cleaning a sticky AIC unit. Took mine off and found it was sticky so I cleaned it and sprayed some WD40 and it freed up nicely. BUT it didn't cure the problem.
Now the car starts, revs for a bit and then dies with lots of spluttering!!
Fuel tank got a little low the other day, but it didn't go all the way to empty.
Feels like a fuel supply problem. The tank is almost full (before you ask!!)
Where is the fuel filter on my 1989 2 litre Carly.
Haynes is useless on this one.
Any other suggestions if the filter isn't blocked up with rusty goo??

Many thanks in advance
Charlie

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Welcome to SSc, Charlie.

If you need to, try Marshall & Fraser behind the Schwarzkopf building near the railway station. Ginger is their Saab bloke down there - always helpful.

In the meantime, I am sure you will get plenty of advice from the knowledgable contributors here

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your fuel filter is located under the passsenger side door rocker panel about 8 inches in. It is tucked neatly under the body cavity and is held on with a metal strip clamp. If it is like mine, you will need a pair of vise grips and a wrench to loosen the round headed threded screws. Put the vise grip on the hex head of the filter and loosen with your wrench on the incoming and outgoing lines.

·
Registered
174 Posts
On my '89 9000T (Canadian-spec), the fuel filter is the aluminum cannister located directly between the battery and the false bulkhead (firewall). The battery on mine is on the left side of the engine bay -- which I think is also the case for right-hand drive cars.

Rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts