Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking apart some of the hose work between the throttle and the air filter checking for leaks* and cleaning up, and I notice that there is a liberal coating of fairly clean engine oil all over the inside of most of that pipework.

Where could that be coming from? Does it indicate a problem?

I was wondering also, what is the metal device that connects in the top of the intake hose between the air mass meter and the turbo? It seems to have some oil pipes connecting to it, and there is quite a lot of oil on the hose around it.

* P.S. I think I found the leak.. looks like the diaphragm in the dump valve is gone.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
John,
The thin coating of oil is fairly normal and usually due to build up from the oil breather, which vents into the inlet manifold. Excess build up should be cleaned out, especially from Idle Control Valve (if you have one), and may be due to a blockage somewhere causing a build up of pressure inside the crank case and expelling more oil than normal into breather tubes, etc.

between the air mass meter and the turbo?  [/b]
The dump valve is located between these two points, via a connecting pipe. Only tube to it though should run from the inlet manifold, to open the dump valve on decelleration, enabling turbo to keep spinning - instead of stalling due to back pressure on closed throttle.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear this oil coating is probably normal

The "thing" I'm asking about it not the dumpvalve, although it's very close to it. I'll try and get a picture.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe it is. Do you know if there is a PCV valve here? They can silt up and stick open I think, and certainly on some cars need to be replaced at some interval - didn't see it in the 9000 service schedules though.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It isn't a service item. However, if you look at the big hose that comes out of the rear left (as seen from standing in front of the car) of the cam cover, there is a smaller hose from the same plastic fitting and further along that hose is a white plastic one-way valve. That is the PCV valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.