Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here so bear with me, OK, I have not messed about with cars for decades, now adays I just get in and drive, So what is the first thing I should do to my 97 2.0T CS with 65K on the clock to give it a bit more GO, also since fitting new wheels and tyres ( BF Goodrich, 205-55/15) she understears badly, any ideas?
Pics will be on line at a later date.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The best way to give your 9000CS a bit more go, is fitting a remapped ECU. The car will be much faster whilst retaining the safety of the APC system.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'd agree with Maarten. I assume a '97 2.0T is a light-pressure turbo (no boost gauge)? If so, then the addition of a boost control valve and remapped ECU will give plenty of reliable power (just a bit more than a 2.0 full-pressure turbo) with the standard air filter and exhaust system (as fitted to the full-pressure turbo). A better exhaust system will give better response and will keep exhaust gas temperatures lower, allowing an even higher state of tune. The air filter, I think, won't make very much difference as the 9000 air filter is very efficient and I think you'll run out of flow capacity on the T25 turbo before the air filter is a limitation. However, modifying the airbox to increase flow to the filter is worthwhile and is easily a DIY proposition.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
More understeer is a sign of less grip and may simply be down to the tyres not having scrubbed in yet. Have they improved since you posted? It could also be, of course, that the tyres you have fitted just aren't as grippy as the ones you replaced.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, and thanks for all you responce.
So where is the best place to get a Remapped ECU, Exhaust System and Boost control valve?
What type of cost would these be?

Andy

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
You may be able to get a boost control valve s/h from a breaker, part no 7485576, or failing that a main dealer or the upgrade people.

Your ECU will be upgraded on an exchange basis by all of the suppliers below.

There are 3 main companies I would recommend for your ECU upgrade (in alphabetical order)

1. Abbott Racing

Based near Manningtree, Essex, have been the UK's foremost Saab racing team. Usually a bit more expensive than others but you can take your car down their have have it properly checked over and set up by the experts.

2. Maptun

Swedish firm, relatively small but know what they're doing. Mail order only needless to say.

3. Speedparts

Again a Swedish firm, but have a UK outlet through Elkparts. Well tried and tested within this community.

As for exhausts, there are a number of options.

Abbott sell full stainless steel systems. They are very well made, but quite expensive. The advantage they have over most of the competition though is that they are fully compatible as replacement drop ins for each section of the OEM exhaust.

JT exhausts are available from Elkparts, and again are well tried and tested. Aluminised mild steel construction.

Then there are the likes of Longlife who will manufacture you a custom stainless exhaust while you wait.

HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts