Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I might be buying an 05 9-3 SS Aero here with in the next month or so, so we should have it by June/July sometime when it's built. I've read most of the posts and only have a question or 2. What's the difference between Trionic 5, 7, etc? Which one would I have? Also, where online could I look for aftermarket parts? Especially an ecu upgrade. I'm not new to turboed engines, I've got an 03 Passat 1.8t back at home and know if you want big gains for little money, you reprogram the ecu. I've only seen a couple of sites online that sell parts for a newer 9-3, so I'm sure there's got to be others. Thanks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi, and welcome to Saabscene

Trionic is Saab's proprietary engine management system. Your 9-3SS will have Trionic 8 - they all do. Trionic 5 was GM900 and early 9-3, Trionic 7 was 9-3 and 9-5 (although I could be wrong ...)

As for ECU upgrades for the 9-3SS, AFAIK the choice at the moment is either Hirsch or Abbott. I'm sure the other tuners will be on the bandwagon before long, but I'm not sure they're there yet.

Enjoy the car

James

·
Registered
737 Posts
BSR are now doing the stage 3 via ppc, a beast knocking out 268bhp - up from 210, all for under £1500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts