·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going to look around for prices on;

Bridgstone S-03's
Pirelli P6000's
Goodyear Eagle F1's

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Slough area that can give good prices (ie. nothing like Kwik Fit!)

I have used Protyre, ATS & Feltham Tyre Centre before.

Any other ideas? I don't mind travelling a bit at the weekend etc but I'm not going to travel for miles to save £2.

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I went to Northway Tyres in Watford. They were a "nominated fitter" for mytyres.co.uk. So I thought I'd better check them out before I ordered the tyres.

As expected the guys there at the desk had no knowledge of their company link with mytyres, but when I showed them a printout they accepted the web price for fitting.

.......and then they offered a price for the Bridgestones, incl fitting valves and balance, that was better than me getting the tyres , so I didn't have to wait in for the delivery

So go to mytyres, find the tyres and price, find the local fitter and see if he'll beat their price and save you a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked into Mytyres and they only had the P6000's, £62.80 each though!

.......and then they offered a price for the Bridgestones, incl fitting valves and balance, that was better than me getting the tyres  , so I didn't have to wait in for the delivery[/b]
Do you mind telling how much you paid in the end, and what size they were?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can any of the Bridgestone/Goodyear owners please tell me if the tyes have a treadwear rating printed on the sidewall?

I remember having Yokahama's on a car a few years ago and they had a rating of 180 (I think) whereas the more 'average' tyres on my dads car at the time had 280.

The place in Micheldever near the A3 is supposed to be pretty good, too[/b]
Any idead as to who, where?

Skiddins

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Skiddins,

The latest incarnation of the F1 has a treadwear rating of 280!! As I have said in another post elsewhere they last forever, but were good enough for 'evo' to rate them as their No.1 tyre against allcomers....

The Bridgestone SO-3 had a greater measured dry grip than the F1, but trailed the F1 far more in the wet...Just the thing for Blighty then.

Nick.

PS. My local independant is doing 215/45/ZR17 F1's for £99 each all in.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Without wishing to generate too heated a debate... I understand that the SO3 is a better all round performer on heavier cars than the F1... and I have to say the SO3 has exceptional levels of grip, even in the wet and almost unbelievable resitance to aquaplaning.

I would guess that EVO tested the tyres on crs substantially lighter than the 9000, but could be wrong.

Whichever way you choose, either tyre will undoubtedly offer impressive performance.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
BillJ and I commented on the Bridgestones last week. I think they performed much the same on his 9000 as they did on my 9-5.

Very good in dry and in wet.

Absolutely awful on ice - I was out braked and out cornered by an empty Transit van

TWI is 220.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, Micheldever & Protyres websites are almost identical!

Definitely S03's or F1's then, whichever is closer and/or cheaper will probably decide.

Oh no....more phoning around, I get enough of that every year for insurance!

Skiddins

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been to Micheldever Tyres a couple of times, they are a bit off the beaten track but when you pull into their yard the place is full of performance cars so you feel you're in the right place.

Their operation is fairly slick, as they queue all the incoming cars up and whilst you are waiting they take your order, so by the time you get to the front of the queue they know what they are going to fit which saves a bit of time.

They've got a fancy laser four-wheel alignment rig as well, and they give you a print out of which way all your wheels are pointing.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you don't want to go to Micheldever, try Total Tyres in Binfield near Bracknell.

Total Tyre & Exhaust Co
Terrace Rd,
Binfield
RG12 0OO

(01344) 450586

Last time I needed some tyres, Micheldever were cheaper, but not by enough to justify the petrol and time to get there.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i spent today phoning around and receiving email replies to my request for prices, all of these include fitting, balancing etc except for www.mytyres.co.uk who only do the mail order for the tyres themselves;

Micheldever, Andover (I think) 01962 774437

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 £82.88
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-03 £81.70
Pirelli P6000 £64.08

Total Tyre, Binfield Reading (01344) 450586

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 £
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-03 £90 'ish
Pirelli P6000 £62.26

Protyre Slough (Bath Road Tyres) 01753 571171

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 £106.56
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-03 £104.16
Pirelli P6000 £77.78

Feltham Tyres (Slough!) 01753 530021

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 £96.82
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-03 £93.76
Pirelli P6000 £62.26

ATS Euromaster (Furnival Ave. Slough) 01753 524214
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 £124 *
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-03 £126 *
Pirelli PZero £143 *

www.mytyres.co.uk
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 £ N/A
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-03 £82.20

* ATS, after quoting those prices which were quite frankly, taking the pi**, they then asked if I'd had any cheaper quotes.
They said they could match the price i got from Micheldever of £82 all in!

Not bad, as they a close to where i live and i have been please with their service before, but the fact that they were going to screw me for over £40 a tyre then instantly brought the price down with no effort has annoyed me a bit.

It certainly pays to phone around!

Skiddins

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know a guy that works for protyre... i can get part worns dead cheap or new cheaper than anywhere..... Bracknell isn't too far from you ..... give me the actual size you need and i can give you prices for new and part worn.... to give you an idea, i run 205/50/16, and currently have part worn p6000s at approx 15 quid each fitted and ballanced...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Do you mind telling how much you paid in the end, and what size they were?[/b]
Sorry! Missed that bit before.

I needed the standard 215/55 16 93V for my 9-5 but got the SO-3 as W rated. Northway did 4 for £110 each. Mytyres were £113 ea incl the valve, balance and fitting at Northway!!

This size and rating of tyre seems a lot more expensive than the slightly smaller tyres that the 9000 people usually take.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.