Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 9000 Aero.

The curly cable leading from the cigarette lighter socket for my Snooper S4 Neo is a pain, and in the box comes a length of cable to allow the user to wire the power supply directly to the vehicles 12v system. It has two wires, the live wire to be connected to a live that is on when the ignition is on and off when the ignition is off, plus a negative lead to be connected to a negative ground.

I have placed the detector in the middle of the dash just behind the sunlight "dome" in the middle of the dashboard.

Can anyone give me some advice as to where best to attach the leads to get the power supply I need. The lead could either pop up from under the dash via the demister vents, or from (or adjacent to) the front speaker grilles, then running across the bottom edge of the windscreen.

The lead provided comes with a 2 amp fuse fitted and is about 2m long.

Many thanks. P.S. I find I drive slower with the Snooper fitted than I did without it - strange...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment. It's just that there's a warning in the manual telling you not to leave the S4 plugged into the cigarette lighter socket when you start the vehicle, as "lighter sockets are prone to power surges that may damage the unit."

·
Registered
103 Posts
I positoned mine on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel and wired it into the door light switch.

Instructions do suggest that it is based placed where you have in the centre of the dash, but it seems to be as effective to the side.

Great aren't they

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wire it to the ignition. If th key is in the on position it will be on. I plan to do this myself when i replace the headliner in a matter of a week or two. Run the wire stright up into the headliner and around the top of the windshield and down the frame of the window keeping all the wires hidden and then take it behind the dash to the ignition. Should work perfect. I question hard wiring it to the Cig lighter, for if that is using constant power, what happens when you go to use the plug and the radar unit is on? Won't that just blow a fuse? Short things?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Originally posted by Chartermarque:
[qb]I positoned mine on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel and wired it into the door light switch.  

[/qb][/b]
um... a Radar unit is meant to be in good view of the road... aren't the wiper arms in the way? I have mine up at the rear view mirror level, so the screen is just below the mirror frame. This gives it optimal vision ahead, good behind and keeps the unit hidden from being obvious in the car.

Originally posted by dicreamio:
[qb] I recently purchased a whistler one and its the best thing since sliced bread. [/qb][/b]
I too hafta agree there. I just got a Whistler DE-1665 Radar/Laser Detector Brand new for $35 shipped (retails about $190 in stores) and it's the best! I highly suggest it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not sure, but they recommend you place it as near as the registration plate as possible, as the police generally aim for there...(with laser anyway).

Ive had no problems picking up signals be them radar or laser with my detector being mounted on the dash... so the wipers dont seem to affect.
The do say that the heat reflective windows that are on the likes of the 9-5 hinder performance...
which stands to reason when you consider the physics behind it all.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by dicreamio:
[qb].
The do say that the heat reflective windows that are on the likes of the 9-5 hinder performance...
which stands to reason when you consider the physics behind it all. [/qb][/b]
Saab windows are heat-absorbing. Whether they still hinder the performance or not?? Maybe.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have a Beltronics 990i.. next to the Valentine One it was the best radar/laser detector on the market.

It's been replaced with a European specific model the Euro 550...

Full 360° radar and laser coverage
400m GATSO warnings (avg.)
Radar range 3 miles (max)
Laser range 1.5 miles (max)
LCD text and graphic display system
Digital voice and audio warning
Digital voice and audio warning Set and Forget memory
Undetectable Shadow II technology
City and motorway driving modes
No installation required, 100% portable
1 year manufacturer's warranty
Frequency coverage in 12 European Countries
Multi language option

I bought mine 3 years ago from here : http://www.radarexpress.com/bel_euro_550.html

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I think I'll go for the stereo power supply.

For all those interested in a device - I bought the Snooper S4 Neo for a reason - it's very small, has GPS Gatso alerts, Laser alerts to spot those pesky mobile units there are so many of around here, and has voice as well as tone alerts. I paid £270.00. So far it does exactly what I want it to do, without it being too obtrusive.

S4 Neo - click here

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I was looking at the detectors in the USA on ebay and was amazed at the price difference for the UK.
One UK supplier was selling Cobra detectors which you can pick up in the states for £20. I very nearly bought one but decided to get a NEW Bel-Tronics 930 Radar/Laser Detector which I got for £87 plus $24 shipping to the UK. I checked the spec and couldn't see much difference between it and the Bel-Tronics 550, well certainly not £300 worth of difference. It is programable to all the different frequencies worldwide so I'll see how it performs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Originally posted by ballistic:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by BurnsSide42:
[qb] I too hafta agree there.  I just got a Whistler DE-1665 Radar/Laser Detector Brand new for $35 shipped (retails about $190 in stores) and it's the best! I highly suggest it. [/qb][/b]
Where from? Sounds a too good to be true deal.

Ash [/qb][/b][/quote]I watched MANY of e-bay auctions till I saw one I won for the price I set out to pay. I chose 3 different models, and 1 set price after shipping. NO MORE THEN $40 shipped was my target. Well, i ended up winning my #2 choice for $35 shipped and I am VERY happy with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.